Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received an email from a friend who know of someone who want a colony removed from a tree in their yard. I don't know any details about where the hive is located in the tree, but I presume inside the tree somewhere. I doubt whether they want the tree removed or butchered in any way to get them removed. I've never tried this before. So how does one go about relocating this hive? Is there a way to make them leave their humble abode and enter into a hive box placed near by? Need your suggestions & comments asap please. :scratch:

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Wow! ....51 views and not one comment, suggestion or joke about this question. Are you all napping? :scratch:

·
Registered
About 40 Colonies
6,149 Posts
I received an email from a friend who know of someone who want a colony removed from a tree in their yard. I don't know any details about where the hive is located in the tree, but I presume inside the tree somewhere. I doubt whether they want the tree removed or butchered in any way to get them removed. I've never tried this before. So how does one go about relocating this hive? Is there a way to make them leave their humble abode and enter into a hive box placed near by? Need your suggestions & comments asap please. :scratch:
Look up a trapout. Cleo Hogan has lots of great information on here about it.

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
If people have a hive in a tree, I ask if anyone has been stung most everyone says no then I let them know what a good thing they have. Bees live peacefully in people house and trees for many years, most of the time the owner does not even know they are there. Most people just need to be educated.

Let him know he has a gold mine for setting up swarm traps offer them some honey for the swarm you will catch.

You can do a trap out, send a PM to "Cleo C. Hogan Jr" and he will email you an excellent step by step trap instructions with pictures.

For me trap outs take too much time and too many trips to the bee tree. And sometimes they don't work (a lot of work without a payout).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts