Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I lost a colony to Nosema this winter but there is quite a bit of honey remaining in the frames. I was thinking of heat treating the frames and honey and feeding it to the a new colony of bees when they arrive. Should I have any concerns ?

·
Registered
574 Posts
I lost a colony to Nosema this winter but there is quite a bit of honey remaining in the frames. I was thinking of heat treating the frames and honey and feeding it to the a new colony of bees when they arrive. Should I have any concerns ?
uhh, yeah. Great way to kill your new colony with nosema. Why not just eat the honey yourself? The spores won't hurt you, but they could easily spread nosema to your other bees.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
I believe that the symptoms of amoebic dysentery is also defecation in the hive.
If my memory is correct, feeding brown sugar or molasses also gets the same
results. Until you know the real cause, we can only speculate as to the best course of action.

Roland

·
Registered
64 Posts
I read that heating to 120 degrees for 24 hrs will kill the spores
That means keeping the temperature of the honey at 120 degrees for 24 hrs, not just heating it that long. It may take you up to 48 hours to achieve a constant sporicidal temperature. Even then, spores are incredibly resistant to heat, dessication, and irradiation. Personally, I would eat the honey and feed the new bees some nice clean syrup.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts