Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am an avid Linux network admin. one of my favorite versions of Linux is called Debian and they name all of their releases with names taken from the Toy Story movies.

I have decided, all the colonies/hives I take in from now on, just for chits and giggles, I will give a name from a movie or movie character.

I am thinking of creating sections of the main beeyard as a movie title, then all the hives can be named after characters from that movie or series.

Why am I doing this you asked?

Because I can and because I think it could be creative to try to keep coming up with unique names.

The first movies series I will start with will be Pirates of the Caribbean.

Can't wait to name a colony "Jack"

Big Bear

·
Registered
56 Posts
My colony's movie character name would be "Beatrix Kiddo" which is Uma Thurman's character in Kill Bill II. Now that is a fierce female character.

I'm trying to avoid washing the dishes so if I think of any other good ones, I'll let you know...

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Go for it -- I named most of my hives and installed wooden nameplates on the hive covers. I named them for my sisters, my aunts, fairy tail characters, draq queens, my coworkers and even for great singers. I especially loved my hive for Queen Latifah.

You only live once and why not have a ball living it. ;):)

·
Registered
52 Posts
We went with conventional royalty;
-Mary (nicknamed Bloody Mary cause she is mean)
-Victoria
-Elizabeth
-Beatrix
and so on...

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
"Bates Motel" came to mind...

................................................ it always does

·
Registered
7,054 Posts
My bees die out so fast these days that I do not name them so that there is less of emotional distress when they give up the ghost. I do label their source looking for that "survivor strain". So far Weaver All Americans and ferals from 94010 are lasting the longest.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Weaver All Americans...it does seem that colonies with some adonsii blood are somewhat resistant to mites and ccd sickness or what ever it is.

·
Banned
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
With all the movies and series of movies and books out there, there is a plethora of names from which to track colonies.

Pirates of the Caribbean- jacksparrow, jackmonkey, WillTurner, Elizabeth, DaveyJones,etc

Toy Story - Woody, Buzz, Sarge, Andy, lenny, potatoehead, etc...

Lord Of the Rings- Gandalf, Frodo, Pippen, Bilbo, Sam, etc...

so many more

Big Bear

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
MA!!! The meatloaf!!!! ah...one of my favorite lines. Though my wife doesn't get it. :scratch:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts