Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I checked my 2 hives a few minutes ago. There were a fair amount of dead bees on the landing board and right in front of the hive. I put my ear to the upper entrance and I could here them in both hives. I`m assuming this is just normal attrition?

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
When it's cold out, the morgue bees don't travel far with the dead, if at all. It's worthwhile pulling the entrance reducer from time to time to sweep out the backlog on the floor. Nobody likes living above corpses.

Nancy

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I travel for work, sometimes weeks at a time. Things do not always get done when they should. I got home this time and removed my mouse guards. They were the stainless angle iron ones with about 3/8ths holes drilled in them. I pulled them off and cleaned the bottom board. It was covered with bees, but hadn`t been cleaned since summer. I used 1/2 inch hardware cloth for my mouse guards, like Michael palmer does. It will make it much easier for the bees to clean house. I could hear the bees when I put my ear to the upper entrance. So they are both still alive.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts