Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

*Cooling

Thanks for looking over my post.

We are expected to have close to record temperatures where I live, which is in east San Diego County. As of today, 104F-Sat / 105F-Sun and it's suppose to be a "dry" heat.

I am familiar with most the the tricks to help keep a hive cool, but I wanted to run another idea that I have, and see if it's a good idea, or useless for the most part. (I'm really only curious about the box idea)

My plan is to simply add empty, frame-less Mediums to the tops for two days to allow for more room to help keep things a bit cooler. I'm not sure if two days is enough time to create a comb mess, but I'm fine with that if it helps.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
b1rd

·
Registered
514 Posts
Attics always can help keep everything cool. The best thing you can do is ensure that they have an accessible water source by the hives since they cool the hive with evaporative cooling. Vent boxes also work. You will need to make sure that the bees do not start to build comb in the empty box since that ends up being resources wasted.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks.

And yes on the water. Filled them up this morning.

·
Registered
113 Posts
If they aren't already shaded give them some. During the extreme heat I have used a partial sheet of plywood for additional shade. The extra box sounds good with the cover propped open a bit. Sat/Sun/Monday we are forecast to be 106/112/111F. Ugh!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
...I have used a partial sheet of plywood for additional shade
Thanks.

I was actually already doing that. (I even cut bigger boards to use as shade just today in preparation.) I also lean another board against the edge of plywood vertically from the ground up, and move it with the sun to block the direct sunlight on two of my hives.

b1rd

·
Registered
192 Posts
I'd put the frames in the mediums even if they were just foundation. It would give the bees more surface area to spread out and fan to cool the hive as well as eliminating the possible bur comb mess.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts