Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is what is happening. I found a swarm in my tree. We cut it out and put it in a hive. I don't have any honey frames, so I cut open some honey and put it in the new hive box. I put the box in some shade about 30 feet from the tree.

I was going to seal off the box once most of the bees went back in. Right now I have a whole bunch a bees in the box (with the queen I think). I also have a lot of bees flying around the branch that I removed.

Should I cap the box or wait until night and cap the box? Any suggestions?

Sorry if this question has been done to death

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The bees have found the box and stopped flying around the tree. I am planning on putting the cover on it tonight and sealing it up until tomorrow. I will probably throw another thing of honey in tonight.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Nice go Terra. If you don't have a proper hive. You should think about building one. If your handy or you know a carpenter its easy. Consult the build it your self section on this site. Plywood is fine until you can get the real stuff. Temporary is fine as long the bees have something to build on. Call some suppliers about frames and foundation. Don't just order online. The supplies you need may not come to you fast enough. Congrats and good luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts