Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have lived here since Nov 97. So TN weather history isn't my forte. But I do know that we are way below the normal highs and it's been like that for probably all of 2010 to this point. Very few days in the 40's. Most of the days in the 30's.

Talked to another beek tonight at our Ash Wednesday Service. He has lived here all of his life. Said he doesn't remember a winter that was ever this cold for so long.

Last year was a very warm winter. We then had a very wet spring washing out most of the nectar flow.

Perhaps this cold/wet winter will be a good sign of a warmer dryer spring with a strong nectar flow. Some of the older beeks said we have not had a really great nectar flow in years. Maybe we are due.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Ken:
I noticed:
Would normally be CBing about now. Haven't even peeked in this month. Mixed up some protein supplement in late Jan. to offset the fall flow failure. Waiting for hive-opening temps that do not come. Most unusual for this area. Get used to unusual - climate change!!

Walt

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I believe you are right. I am hoping that I am coming to an end of my losses for this winter. If only I can get in and check them to see if I need to add top feeding of SW or mountain cap. Did put some small amount of MegaBee on the hives late last fall. Dead outs hadn't taken the patties. Going to buy the powder this year so I can have the option of making patties or "common feeding" near the apiaries. If ever warms up nice for 7 to 10 days I believe the maples will be in bloom. Buddings are huge but quit developing when we got this last long cold streak.

Good to hear from you. Need to come down a sit a spell with you. Some things I still can't get straight in my head.....slow learner sometimes.

Enjoyed your article in ABJ this month (or was it Bee Culture). Didn't pay any attention to writer. The more I read the more I kept saying to myself this guy is preaching Walt's message! Got to the end and there was your name :thumbsup:

·
Registered
667 Posts
It's funny. You'd think that if you guys are cold, we'd be FREEZING, and that's not the case. While we are a little below normal here in the Chicago area, I would say that we haven't had many cold spells at all. It's been quite remarkable how stable our temps have been over the last month. We have highs in the upper 20s, low 30s consistently.

I'm waiting for a 40 degree day!

ken

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
It's funny. You'd think that if you guys are cold, we'd be FREEZING, and that's not the case. While we are a little below normal here in the Chicago area, I would say that we haven't had many cold spells at all.
Interesting. About 3 hours SE of you and we we've been significantly colder than usual for both January & February. We are at nearly triple the 'normal' February snowfall with more forecast for this weekend

·
Registered
38 Posts
Just got home for lunch and looked out and the girls were flying. It is 41 deg. and the sun is shining. Thinking about putting some sugar in this evening just to be sure they have enough. Still got a few weeks to go.

Mark

·
Registered
667 Posts
Interesting. About 3 hours SE of you and we we've been significantly colder than usual for both January & February. We are at nearly triple the 'normal' February snowfall with more forecast for this weekend
We are definitely above normal for snow. However, our temps are just a bit below normal. No real cold snaps either.

Ken

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sun has been out all day. A little wind but it has warmed up to 51. But it is also a sad day. Last time the girls were flying 2/2/10 (I believe) all of my hives in the backyard had activity. Last Saturday I used a stethescope and heard bees in all of these same hives. Today the bees were flying like crazy and coming to the local SW bucket that's under my carport and patio table.............All but 1 hive. My strongest split. 2 brood boxes and a medium super. Can't fly if you ain't alive. They had boxed themselves into a corner and too far away from the stores still there in the upper brood box and some in the super. There were 2 completely full brood frames. They zigged when they should have zagged.

But I can blame this on the unusually cold winter. If the highs had been even close to the normal highs for this time of the year, I could have easily checked, added a top feeder. The girls could have gone over to the other frames of honey. But it was too cold. Heck if it had been close to the average highs for this time of year I wouldn't have had to worry anyway. They would have been out foraging SW from the local bucket.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Been here in Georgia since '89, and except for a few near-zero days along the way, we usually rebound very quickly, but over the last 2 1/2 months, we have had very, very few flying or inspection days (above 50).

Thanks dan for the stats - I had been meaning to check the monthly charts myself, but never got there (too cold?).

Of course it had to be that this was my first year keeping bees, and I believe I watched the last survivor fanning her little wings on top of the frames last week:cry:

Good luck to you all - bees (bless their lil hearts) are a relatively cheap commodity to purchase (not that I consider much anything living a expendable commodity), but they can sure tear you up in maintenance, equipment, time and worry.

I'm going to start again :)s) and had some questions that I posted on another thread - http://www.beesource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=238001.

My guess is that a lot of you have been here before. Anyone keeping bees and reading about cold weather has to have experienced losses or certainly worried about it. It is my understanding that I can pretty much utilize all my existing frames, but if you have any additional comments or suggestions to that thread, I'm sure that those would be appreciated by those of us who are on the same ice flow.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Im worried about the girls. By now I would have been in the hives,but not this year. I too have been listening for signs of life and as of Sunday it was there. I had been hoping the girls hadn't started laying but I know she has. Im afraid that they could get boxed keeping the brood warm. Anyhow I went to a bee meeting the other night and was told about an emergency feed. Find the cluster,make a mixture of cane sugar and corn syrup that is gummy and put on top of the frames at the cluster. Put your inner cover back on, smashing it down between the frames and the girls will take it. Spring will be here soon. Im ready to make some splits. Peace

·
Registered
717 Posts
I found my (dead) clusters in about 5 fist-sized clumps scattered across my 2 deeps (all in the top with about 40 lbs of capped honey right beside them) - hope yours have found a central meeting ground.

·
Registered
433 Posts
It hit 34F and sunny the other day this week here in SW WI and some of my yards were out relieving themselves in the snow.

As others have noted we're having a normal winter in the upper midwest.

Bad news for you folks in SE USA. The 90 outlook is staying strongly in the below normal range for predicted temps for your region.

http://www.cpc.noaa.gov/index.php

For those highly scientific types, there is sufficient concern that we may be entering a very long period of minimal sun activity. Right now we are surpassing records set in the early 1900's for minimal activity. the cycles of sun activity are not well understood but there is lots of evidence for cyclic periods that repeats themselves. google mauder minimum or dalton minimum and see how interesting this topic is.

its possible that we could be entering a multi decade period of very minimal sun activity. global warming could turn out to be a misguided hoax that was politicized

1 - 19 of 19 Posts