Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time beekeeper here in N. GA and am worried about heading out of town for the next 10 days using the feeder I have.

In hindsight, I probably shouldn’t have bothered with a feeder - hive is strong and plenty of honey stores. Overthinking it (as I often do) I decided to put my hive top feeder on while I’m gone. Because of the weather, I’m now afraid to take it off before I leave...

Stick with me now...

The type of feeder is similar to the Fat Bee Man feeder. See the picture for reference and/or you can see the plans here: https://www.instructables.com/id/No-Drowning-Hive-Top-Feeder/

With the expected travel, I put my feeder on a few days ago as we were expecting cold and wet weather that’s expected to continue after I leave (highs: mid 40’s. Lows: mid 30’s and RAIN) I had some condensation but put in a 5/8 vent hole (screened over) that seems to fix it.

Anyway, the bees haven’t touched the syrup and have now seen about 10 dead bees the past 2 mornings. I’m now concerned the syrup in the feeder is sapping heat from the hive but am too scared to take it off, and exposing the bees to the cold as I put the top board and cover back on.

Am I overthinking/worrying too much about it? Can I get away with taking it off in 40 degree weather if needed?

Thoughts, reassurance or “dear god what have you done” are appreciated. Well, not the last one but let me down easy...

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
10,456 Posts
the brief exposure won't hurt anything. go ahead and take it off as it is providing too much of a cold sink inside the hive.

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
You guys in GA crack me up when it comes to fretting over the temps on a warm winter day! Just take feeder off and replace the top assembly. Have a smoker handy to herd any bees back in. Plan your moves and just do it.

Have a nice trip!

Nancy

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
Have a smoker handy to herd any bees back in.
if you need the smoker, its not that cold, :lookout:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts