Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My hive seems to always have a small clump of bees hanging on the entrance except for times when its really busy, then its just really busy. In the warmer days I just wrote it off as them being a bit warm but today it hasn't been above 60F and its currently 56F and 8:30pm and they still look like this

IMG_20140613_203517.jpg

I should also say that even when its high 80's they don't beard more than what the photo shows.
What are they up to? Why not go inside where its warmer? My hive is a topbar hive with about 15 bars drawn and each bar is PACKED with bees right now. The last two bars are mostly festooning bees drawing comb for the blackberry flow.

I'm not really worried about this behavior and I don't plan on doing anything but I am curious about it.

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
Surplus bees often hang out around entrance, especially around the top vent inner cover hole of langstroth hives. Its possible they are closing the vent to regulate airflow or are providing protection.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah i thought maybe that's whats going on but it's odd they don't cover the right half. I also think that maybe they don't all know the right half is open. I had it closed off until a couple weeks ago when it looked like they could use it. To this day they use mostly the left 2" for take off and landing, mingle in the center and ignore or fan on the right.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts