Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Put in 3 new package this weekend, check the weather forcast the weather man is calling for tem in the 20s
at night. Is there any suggestion to make sure my bees will be okay?

Al

·
Registered
763 Posts
They should be fine, they will cluster to keep warm, if you are new to beekeeping don't make the mistake of taking away their ventilation to try to keep them warm, far more bees die of condensation due to lack of ventilation than ever died from the cold. Even down here we often get 20 degree weather, doesn't seem to bother them. The guys in Canada would like for it to be that warm, they break out the sun-tan lotion when it gets above 20. Good luck, keep asking questions, better than learning by trail and error.

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
they won't product much moisture stan, essentially though I wouldn't bee too worried. I would close down the entrances, but not sealed tight, close screen boards. Perhaps put in a divider board to restrict the volume Also any feed will be too cold, needs to be on the cluster or warmed each day.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Like others have said,

I wouldn't worry about this short cold snap. We have caught early swarms that over nighted in the open, with temps in the mid to high 30's.

Shane

·
Registered
699 Posts
If it's any consulation, I've got packages comming in 2 weeks and on friday we had 12 inches
of snow and it was -23F this morning--------------The long range forcast has it in the 40s
and 50s for the first week of april soooooooooo my fingers are crossed :) I have styrofoam
boards in the box's (sides) that take the place of 2 frames and a overhead feeder (also insulated)
and reduced entrances, Thinking of priming a couple of frames with syrup also...I'm hoping they
keep it warm enough in the box so they will eat....Time will tell...

==McBee7==

1 - 6 of 6 Posts