Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We had it drop in to the twenties while my cells where in the finisher. The should have emerged yesterday but had not when i checked 4 of them. I am going to check again Saturday. Can the cold slow things by a day or two or maybe they got killed?

·
Registered
760 Posts
Temperature can affect the timing of when queens emerge from cells. It's also a trick you can use if you have an incubator. Lowering the temperature can buy you a little bit of time when the weather is bad.

However, i've never seen a reference relating temperature to development time. I have seen queens that emerge several days later, some possibly due to temperature, but some I have had no explanation of (and in some cases I have confirmed the queen was otherwise normal once mated)

·
Registered
4,231 Posts
It's also a trick you can use if you have an incubator. Lowering the temperature can buy you a little bit of time when the weather is bad.
I tried this last round of cells. I dropped the temp on day 14 because there was bad weather coming. I brought it down to 85, but didn't see much of a change in emergence. What day do you drop the temp and to what level?

·
Registered
760 Posts
I wish I had specific number, but I know of no study and haven't had time to run formal tests myself. I think the longer they are at lower temperatures the longer the delay. I've done as low as 82. (and one time did 62 degrees, but that was unintentional... the incubator got unplugged for 12 hours. I did track the queens from this supercooled batch and they did mate and lay normally and seemed to have a normal life span. One that I inseminated from this batch survived and was productive for 3 years and one of the top producers in the yard for 2 of the 3 years). However, I have no idea how low for how long is too much.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
I once placed roller cages over queen cells in a finisher, 2 days before expected emergence. They were In the top of a strong hive, but when it got cold they nearly abandoned the cells. Couldn't get close because of the roller cages.
I put them in the incubator and there hatch date came and went.
I had other cells in the incubator too, and just left them in over the weekend as I went off out of town.

When I came back an looked another day later, I was surprised to see one just emerging..three days late. The others emerged the next day-a full four days late. All looking normal and were mated and over wintered.
What the temp was in the finisher hive where they got chilled is unknown. Since I normally get a hatch a day earlier than the calendar says, they may have actually been closer to 5 days late.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Saturday, I checked again and no queens. I opened a cell and the not fully developed queen moved her legs. I than decided to start over about four of the ten looked like the might have hatched out eventually but others seemed to have stopped developing all together. We will see how the next batch goes. I should be out of the woods with regard to really cold nights.
I once placed roller cages over queen cells in a finisher, 2 days before expected emergence. They were In the top of a strong hive, but when it got cold they nearly abandoned the cells. Couldn't get close because of the roller cages.
I put them in the incubator and there hatch date came and went.
I had other cells in the incubator too, and just left them in over the weekend as I went off out of town.

When I came back an looked another day later, I was surprised to see one just emerging..three days late. The others emerged the next day-a full four days late. All looking normal and were mated and over wintered.
What the temp was in the finisher hive where they got chilled is unknown. Since I normally get a hatch a day earlier than the calendar says, they may have actually been closer to 5 days late.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts