Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like I have some brood losses from a cold, windy day here in Michigan. I surrounded my hives with straw bales a little to late. Went out after the winds died down to check hives and noticed some dead brood at the entrance. Any advise? How long could this put me back?

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
It's possible that when you were last in your hive some damage was done to drone brood in burr comb and that is what you see. As far as how long it will set you back- can't answer that without inspecting your hive to see how much damage was done if it was caused by the cold.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Quit worrying. Bees have lived through cold spells for millions of years now. A little dead brood is normal; bees live, they die, and they're removed from the hive. If you have a hygenic breed, then they remove brood infested with varroa and dump it. If your bottom board is covered with carcasses, then you have a problem. ;)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.