Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A lady called who has a bee hive in a tree and I had agreed to trap them out after I tried to capture a swarm if they threw one. I put out two nuc boxes with frames and lemongrass oil as traps. She called tonight and the bees did indeed swarm but went straight up to the top of a very tall elm. Any way to coax them down into one of my traps or perhaps a larger one? Would adding a frame of honey help? I'd sure like to get any and all ideas.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Just be careful don't hurt yourself trying to capture them.

If you can access them a frame of open brood is a magnet.

Probably not the last swarm you'll ever see.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, it won't be the last. Swarm season is just beginning here and I've already caught two and immediately after I hung up with the lady about the swarm in the top of a tree, I got another call about a basketball sized swarm about three feet off the ground. I'll pick it up first thing in the morning. I won't worry about the one way up in the top of the tree, but just wondered if any of the more experienced beeks had tricks that might work in attracting or coaxing them down and into a trap. If I take a frame of open brood should I just put it, along with attendent nurse bees, in one of my current swarm traps and see what happens? Is that what you mean about putting them in close proximity?

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Beegee, AHB have been reported in our county but I've never see or been near to any as far as I can tell. I've had some moderately aggressive hives develop after a year or two after capturing the swarm, but nothing like what I hear about AHB further south down by San Angelo.
As far as worrying about coaxing the hive in the top of the tree down, I've forgotten that. Got two swarms today, one about 3' off the ground and the other about 6'. Both nice swarms and soooo easy. I've now hived four in the last six days and had several calls about bees under sheds (3), so I'm now getting busier than I want to be.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts