Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hived a swarm back in August Queen seems strong, healthy and laying. Necture flow has all but stopped here in Maine so i have been feeding them 2:1 sugar:water which they are taking.
The colony is covering 8 frames. Any tips getting them through winter would be helpfull. The way they are stacked is bottom board, deep brood chamber w/10 frames (they are on 8), inner cover, empty deep (for feeding), and cover. Shoul i add another brood chamber or leave it alone thanks

·
Registered
307 Posts
Keep feeding them until they fill the two empty frames with Honey. Make sure they have a small vent hole in the top and they should be OK.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great, that’s what I figured. The inner cover has the vent hole in the front so it is acting as small top entrance .
Should I plan on adding another box to the bottom for more room or is it to late in the season for them to lay more brood?
Thanks Dwight

·
Registered
126 Posts
Where you're located, be sure they have plenty of feed in contact with the cluster all winter. Watch the vent hole for any obstructions.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Pappy -
They won't draw out a second box this time of year up here. 2 to 1 is for storing, not for building comb.
Chances are they won't draw out the last two frames this late either - they'll just fill out what it drawn with your syrup (which is good).
Keep an eye on the feed (give them as much as they can take - don't let the feeder go dry) until it gets too cold to feed (when feeder might freeze and break). Then give them a candy board.
Keep the wind off them. (wrap)
I've been amazed at how well they do over winter.
Best of luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts