Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In Your Bee suit , Blow on the front of your hive . If they do not fly out and buzz you , Congradulations ! You have gentle Bee! If you have children or Dogs or ..... this is a good to check your hives . Requeen as need.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
makes perfect sense :scratch:, i saw the new beek down the road on his knees the other day in front of his hive, it looked like he was resting his forehead on the hive entrance.....he must have been blowing in the entrance also to check the gentleness of his bees....i did not see him stand up swatting and running in fear so he must not need to re-queen. :D

·
Registered
118 Posts
Evertime I changed out the top feed jar I would breath on the bees and it would get them all buzzing. Thought it was my breath. Seriously though, I never thought of this as a test for gentleness. If that is the case my bees are definitley not gentle but I have only been stung once this year.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Wonder if morning breath or freshly brushed teeth breath make a difference in the test? Bad breath could cause an uproar as it does most situations.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Seriously though, I never thought of this as a test for gentleness.
Its not, i was being facetious in my prior post :doh:. RE-QUEEN as needed, really?? Let me get this straight, You blow into a hive entrance and few bees decide to come at you and that is your determination whether they are gentle or not? More importantly this "test" is a determination whether or not to re-queen? :scratch:

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Some wacky backyard science I fear. You may want to do some testing, I will wager if you went out and did this once a week for a season to all your hives you will be requeening them all, and most likely more than once. :cool:

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This actually is a valid test. A gullibility test.
I failed
Dooohhhhh
Hi
This is NOT a Gullibility quest !! If you have a few fly ..Ok But , More than ten , I would replace the Queen, IF you have children or any other reason warranted . ALL Queens are Not Alike . Queens carry different character traits !!! . . Seems each hive has a Different response. Check at least 5 hives . Let me know, What you find !! Some are more Aggressive than others.....

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Some are more Aggressive than others.....
I guess i would tend to be more agressive too if some creature 100 times my size came to my front door and gave me a 60mph blast of dorito chip breath right in my face, but thats just me. :D

·
Registered
368 Posts
I actually quit using smoke altogether because it pissed them all off too much. I get a better inspection without smoke.

I have discovered if I want a closer look at some part of the frame, or I want them to disperse off the edge of the box, I gently blow on them and they move out of the way. Much easier than lighting up a smoker too, and they don't get angry at me!

·
Registered
94 Posts
TARA,
I agree with you! I already knew to use "cool" smoke and pine needles were my fuel of choice. Now, keep in mind that I have the KTBH's. Every single time my girls proved to me how they disliked the smoking I would give them. I'd do the little puffs at the entrance, give them several minutes, and then crack the lid. Didn't matter, they disapproved. I too have blown my breath on them a few times to shoo one from my hand or arm and never had a bad reaction from them. One good point, I do not eat Dorito's ! As bad as those things smell on one's breath, I wouldn't blame a bee from stinging. Just my $.05 worth :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I used to use this test back in the day every morning I would go out and blow in my entrances to check out my hives to see if they were ok. Well they would come out sure enough. most would fly in erratic circles and wind up flying into trailers and other equipment parked nearby, killing theirselves. I had to quit this practice before I killed too many bees.
One night while attending my AA meeting another drunk told me that I was just making them drunk. So I gave up Makers Mark and now my bees can fly straight. Trouble is I don't have the nerve to blow on them anymore. :D

Sorry about wasting the space but everyone else on here seems to be also!!

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Valleyman,,:lpf: I don't use a smoker anymore,,,,I just put the lighter in front of my mouth,,,,,a safe distance of course,,hit the flame and breath out. Now,,,I really don't think Makers Mark will do the trick,,However Wild Turkey is a nice smooth,,well, it ain't smoke smoke but the bees calm right down.
O.K let's think about this a minute,,ALL animals (mammals ) produce heat, they move, and the give off co2 in respiration and through the skin. Kinda how the mosquitoes, deer flies and the like locate us . Not only that,,but many insects see in the infrared. I believe bees do?(maybe ultraviolet) Soooooo,,,why should the bees see you any different than a bear, raccoon, skunk, and so on. :scratch:
Seems to me to follow this course of action is setting yourself up for bees that will not defend the hive,,, against mammals anyway.
Just my thoughts.
BTW, Lauren,,,,,,I don't think you should be on the same thread as Nasalsponge:D My screens warming up again:lpf:

Rick SoMd

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
ummm.....no. GOnna have to disagree with ya on this one. Blow on mine, they get mad as they should, i would too. I don't go looking to make them mad for sure, but i assure you at any given time during the summer i can blow on them, they get mad, but never seem to sting anyone.....not even me. Also there are as many as 14 kids within 100 ft of my 12 hives(5 right now as the others are on cotton) and NOONE has ever been stung except my neighbor and they alsways sting him for some reason. I do blow on them very gently to move them so I can see down in a cell or even to look at a queen cell and they don't mind. NOW, all that said, come visit on a cloudy day and just touch the top lid and your gonna get met pretty quickly. Most of the time just bumping, somethimes a good sting. I guess each beek has their own experience but i have 12 hives and none have ever stung me, i mean ever, for blowing on them. But that is just me and my experience....

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Dog,
Haven't you figured it out yet. It's the hooch you're on. They are afraid to sting you, they've seen what it does to you. Or maybe they are stinging you and you can't feel it.
One time I ran out of the good stuff, found some yellowstone 2 yr. old. Killed two hives before I sobered up. One from toxic breath, one from the regurgitation when sobering up.
Oh, I quit smoking once, had to start back, the stings hurt too much when I wasn't stoned. That weed is some kind of sedative.;)

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
I know I know....hit my head today and all of a sudden I am friggin chuck Norris.....i went up there and blew on them and they ran....and i mean ran. I took a BIG BIG wiff of...well, something, and blew in the hive and i swear the bee on the landing board looked at me and said....sup dude?......it was SO COOL!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts