Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found this article interesting. I picked out some of the more interesting quotes.

http://money.cnn.com/2012/02/07/news/economy/honey_bees/index.htm?source=cnn_bin

“Agricultural yields are rising, which means that while rejuvenating beehives is costly, the cost isn't making it's way to the supermarket.”
“With the price per hive going from $75 to $150 over the last few years, that translates to an extra $3,750 to $7,500 for a small almond grower.”

"It shouldn't be a significant item on the radar screen of consumers," said Daniel Sumner, an agricultural economist at The University of California Davis and an author of the paper "Bee-conomics." "It's not that big of a deal."

“Plus, honeybees aren't native to North America to begin with. They were brought here by European colonists. And while the die-off might raise questions about the health of our environment, the loss of the honeybee isn't a direct threat to our ecology.”

"Several species of bumblebees are thought to have gone extinct," said Dennis vanEngelsdorp, a bee researcher at the University of Maryland. "Extinction of a species is always a concern, and native plants rely on [bees] for pollination. But they don't get a lot of attention, so we really don't know what it means in North America."

·
Registered
318 Posts
Cattle are also not native to America.... So if the beef industry failed I guess that would be good for America???

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Deciline..... "not that big of deal"......

I wish there was a decline RIGHT NOW,,, because there bees on every fench post out here in Cali right now!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts