Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

It's February 8th here in NC and my bees seem to be doing pretty good so far. Each of my hives consist of 2 deeps. I've been noticing lately that the bees all seem to be clustering on top of the frames of my upper deep. I still have some honey in the upper deep, but I'm seeing more bees clustering on top of the frames. Is this normal this time of the year? If so, should I reverse the two deeps during the next warm spell?

Thanks for any input :scratch:

·
Registered
913 Posts
Don't reverse (yet). Keep an eye on the honey. In the coming weeks, as the days start to get longer, your queen will start laying and your bees will go through a lot of stores in a very short period of time. Anyone with a hive scale will tell you that bees really don't go through that much in November, December, or even January. Mid-February and into March is a different story. Many a hive has made it all the way through to late Feb/early March just to starve once spring buildup kicks in.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Sounds like your bees are expanding. If it is warm enough there you might consider putting the bottom box on top now and feed syrup (if it is warm enough for syrup--50 F--it is warm enough to flip boxes). I flip my boxes here during the first two weeks of March.

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
I wouldn't flip them in 3-4 weeks. Where the cluster is located does not always indicate stores, often the surplus bees in winter cluster above, ontop of the innner cover or frames above. Weigh your hives, as of now I would want still quite a bit of stores, perhaps 50-70% of your normal winter weight for your area.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I checked the hives yesterday and noticed that the bees have just started feeding a little heavier on the sugar bricks that I installed a few weeks ago. The hives still feel as though there is still some honey in each hive. So, I'll wait a few weeks before I flip the boxes. Thanks for the input guys... :thumbsup:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts