Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I hived a package at 7pm about 2.5 hours ago into a top bar hive. The queen was fine hung her cage from one of the top bars and and dumped most of the bees in fine then closed the hive up except for the small entrance top front. Left the package in front of the hive just below the top entrance. Most all the bees went into the hive but now it is after dark and the temp is dropping fast and there is still a cluster of bees in the top corner of the package that isn't moving to go into the hive. Wondering what I should do it is supposed to get down to 40 here tonight so I figured they can't sit out there all night. Why would most move in the hive but some not? Could there be a second queen still in the package they won't leave? I could go back out and try to dump them in the hive again. Also I have an empty lang hive next to the top bar I could lay the box on its side in an empty medium in the lang and put the top on to get them through till tomorrow. Any suggestions?

Here is a pic of the small cluster that won't go in:

Bld1aEcCYAAWvXg.jpg

·
Registered
82 Posts
With the box hole down over the open hive, give the box a good thwack to liberate the mass from the corner. Keep thumping, tipping, etc. to get them out through the hole, as gently as possible but hard enough to get the job done. Or if it's too dark, I'd bring them inside, maybe give them a spritz of sugar water, and try in the morning.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I installed 4 boxes of bees w/ queens last Sunday. One of he boxes did the same as yours. So about dark, I opened the top of the hive and bumped the cage several times - dumping the bees on top of the frames. Then closed every thing up for the night.
Charlie

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks fellers I will go see if I can get them in there.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
You could remove several frames and set the cage inside of the hive. They will be out by morning and you can remove the empty box. I only recommend this if your queen has not been uncorked yet otherwise she might fly off.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I had the same thing with a couple of my packages this year. I am the most inexperienced bee keepers there is (but I read a lot!) and I simply gave the box a good enough thunk on a solid surface to knock them down. I shifted the box side to side a couple of times as if I was panning for gold, turned the box over and dumped them in.

Two days later, the undertaker bees are doing their jobs, the pollen is coming in strong for this time of year and the bees are okie doke. (This is probably the last time this year that I will be able to say that with confidence! heh!)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts