Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Cluster on top of patties

515 11
Concerned that the honey stores were on the low side, I've been supplementing with winter patties. When I recently checked on if I needed to add more I saw that the bees were clustered on top of the patties which are on top of the frames, with a spacer and then inner cover. I'm wondering if being clustered at the top like that might cause a moisture issue: being so close to top they'll be right where any moisture might rise and accumulate.
Would it be wise to add a shallow, then inner cover and top cover?
Thanks, Dan
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11,335 Posts
Concerned that the honey stores were on the low side, I've been supplementing with winter patties. When I recently checked on if I needed to add more I saw that the bees were clustered on top of the patties which are on top of the frames, with a spacer and then inner cover. I'm wondering if being clustered at the top like that might cause a moisture issue: being so close to top they'll be right where any moisture might rise and accumulate.
Would it be wise to add a shallow, then inner cover and top cover?
Thanks, Dan
This is exactly why you should wait with the supplemental hard feed.
See, now you have these unforced issues.
Meanwhile, the bees surely had enough honey for at least 1-2 months (and likely more).

Add more boxes and insulate above the bees - even a piece of plastic and a blanket.
Should be a non-issue.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is exactly why you should wait with the supplemental hard feed.
See, now you have these unforced issues.
Meanwhile, the bees surely had enough honey for at least 1-2 months (and likely more).

Add more boxes and insulate above the bees - even a piece of plastic and a blanket.
Should be a non-issue.
Thanks for the information and advice. It's unlikely they would've gotten through December given their lack of stores. They were a late-summer captured swarm that just didn't have the time to put up enough reserves.
I should have added that I do insulate my hives with 2" foam, so the top cover does have ample insulation, but of course, there's still the limited space above the cluster.

·
Registered
8 Frame mediums throughout
7,738 Posts
I think the space between the inner cover and outer telescoping cover provide a dead air space of insulation, your bees should be fine as moisture will condense along the walls of the hive more so than on the bottom side of the inner cover. Just how critical it is would depend on your location, which is not listed in your profile... hint hint.

·
Registered
11,335 Posts
I do insulate my hives with 2" foam,
Then not a worry about that "dreaded moisture drip".
Don't change anything at all.

PS: of course, without location all these talks are pretty meaningless;
you could be in Yukon territory (trouble!) or in Southern MO (sleep well), for all we know.

·
Registered
11,335 Posts
which is not listed in your profile... hint hint.
I think the location must be made required at the registration time.
Otherwise, this is a non-ending problem.

PS: I went ahead and asked the Mods about it - required location at the registration time.

·
Administrator
11,801 Posts
We have asked VerticalScope about 'requiring' members to populate the Location field (like it used to be Required), but they say they cannot do that as its a "privacy" issue. While perhaps most of the forum members are in the USA, there are / can be members from countries with different privacy issues & regulations. So don't expect Location to be 'required' any time soon.

·
Registered
90 Posts
The colony doesn't have room to be clustered in such a small space (above the feed, in the shim space) - I would guess that you had a few hundred bees up checking out the 'foreign addition' to the hive space, and that they will go down below if it gets too cold for them or if the cluster below needs their heating capacity.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Can't see a privacy issue.It's just filling in a box.
Everyone is required to have a name but few use more than a "handle"
And there are no fact checkers,one could just lie or be vague or use plant hardiness zone.
North of the equator,east of the Mississippi, zone 6a etc

·
Registered
161 Posts
Can't see a privacy issue.It's just filling in a box.
Everyone is required to have a name but few use more than a "handle"
And there are no fact checkers,one could just lie or be vague or use plant hardiness zone.
North of the equator,east of the Mississippi, zone 6a etc
Agree, letting us know your hardiness zone would be just as effective (maybe more so) than actual location

·
Registered
80 Posts
I am in Syracuse NY and have put in hard candy board above the frames. Yes they cluster on the feed but keep it insulated and I think you'll do fine. Any moisture will be on the walls where they can use it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts