Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have not seen this before, but there are two clumps of bees that are outside the hive box on the bottom board and the ground grooming other bees. There is about 100 in each group. Is this normal. They were out all night and through the morning grooming the other bees. Reason?

Thanks -donnie

·
Registered
508 Posts
It's called washboarding. I've not seen anyone on here provide a scientific reason yet. Mine do it every evening.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks for the reply, I don't think they are washboarding from what I can tell. They were not rocking back and forth cleaning the boards. They are grooming the other bees under them, they look like newly hatched bees - but I'm not certain. They were a little irritated when I tried to get close. This is different from washboarding right?

Would they do this outside the hive if it were too crowded?

·
Registered
7,835 Posts
Could be fighting? Potential robbers.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The flow is still on, they have recently filled 2 deeps with honey (I use deeps). The hive is doing really well, perhaps more space is needed. You're comment of congestion seems to ring true.

They have 2 deeps for them, the excluder and then 2 deeps above. Suggestions to clear up the congestion? Or perhaps they are just in their boom.

-donnie

·
Registered
406 Posts
Just as a point that I caught myself pondering, this year one of my first-year hives (swarm from late last year) mirrored your configuration (D-D-QE-D-D), and I threw a shallow super on top of that without foundation to get a little comb honey. This gave them a little something extra to keep busy with and I've been somewhat satisifed with the comb honey I'm getting from that shallow.

Just what my results were from one that I had the mirrored your situation...hope everything goes well for you.
-Doug

·
Registered
25 Posts
So I just installed a new package last weekend and went in yesterday to check the hive for queen release, the queen has been released and there are some eggs layed in what little bit of comb is already drawn out. However, I walked by this morning and there were a few (10-15) dead bees on the bench by my hive and a small cluster of bees on the side of the box barely moving. Maybe 30 bees in the cluster, and I saw a few little legs moving but that's about it. I tapped on the hive with my brush and didn't hear much of a buzz coming from within but a few bees did come popping out of the entrance to see what was going on so I figured they are ok. Just kinda concerned about the group on the side and wondered if anyone knew what this could be about??? Any thoughts and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So I just installed a new package last weekend and went in yesterday to check the hive for queen release, the queen has been released and there are some eggs layed in what little bit of comb is already drawn out. However, I walked by this morning and there were a few (10-15) dead bees on the bench by my hive and a small cluster of bees on the side of the box barely moving. Maybe 30 bees in the cluster, and I saw a few little legs moving but that's about it. I tapped on the hive with my brush and didn't hear much of a buzz coming from within but a few bees did come popping out of the entrance to see what was going on so I figured they are ok. Just kinda concerned about the group on the side and wondered if anyone knew what this could be about??? Any thoughts and suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Usually the bees would not stay out if too cold unless they were trying to get food, short on food waiting for the return of others. Sometimes they are out and left there because the temps drop fast. Not sure on this one, you would have to know if the others are in the hive and just some are out there because they were diong something else... constantly learning....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts