Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started a thread a few days ago about one of my hives that I could not find the queen, no brood, and all the frames were pretty much filled with nectar/syrup. Due to work and weather I had not been able to do anything with them. Today I went out to make one more thorough check before combining them. Today I still did not find a queen, but granted this is my first year and I am not that good at spotting them, but I did find larvae, and eggs, but none capped so I don't know if it is from a laying worker or not. But I also found several queen cells being built and at least 3 of them had larvae in them.......So, my question is, will the bees build queen cells around a drone egg layed by a laying worker? Or will they only build them around a fertilized egg?

Thanks again
Blueline

·
Premium Member
3,533 Posts
It sounds like to me you have a queen but if the hive is full of honey give them more room for the queen to lay eggs

·
Registered
507 Posts
Check to see if the fresh eggs are laid on the side of the cell or the bottom of the cell, dead center. If the eggs are in the bottom, center of the cell, it is a queen.

They seem to want to supercede your current queen, I say let them. They sense something and know something we don't.

·
Registered
91 Posts
My guess would be that you have a queen. When we had a laying working in a hive there were multiple eggs in one cell.
I would also give them some more room if there aren't available cells for the queen to lay eggs in.
Jennifer

·
Registered
6,653 Posts
It sounds to me like a possible plugged out hive and they are getting ready to swarm. Every cell full of honey and now you see some eggs/larva in cells that have had brood emerge, not much room to lay, queen cells starting, could be swarm time, even this late in the year.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone, I was ready to combine this hive with another, but I think I will give them another week or two. I did add a second deep and moved a couple of frames up and replaced them with new frames in the first deep. Once again I appreciate all of the help. I would truely be lost without the advice from this forum.

Blueline

·
Premium Member
3,533 Posts
I did add a second deep and moved a couple of frames up and replaced them with new frames in the first deep.
Sounds like a good move :thumbsup:

·
Registered
970 Posts
Would wait a few days and see what the capped brood looked like

worker brood (laid by a fertile Queen) will almost flat with the comb

Brood laid by worker bees or a queen playing out will rise above the face of the comb 1/4 inch or so.

Yes the bees in there desperate situation will try raising queens from brood laid from workers. this will fool you into thinking you have a good queen cell

if you have Good queen cells in the hive that were raised from a egg,larva from a fertile queen YOU WILL ALSO HAVE CAPPED WORKER BROOD IN THE COMBS

work brood takes 21 days to hatch
Queen cells take 16 days or there about's to hatch

so if you have queen cells capped or with larva BUT no capped worker brood and see queen cells with larva or capped they are no good they are trying to raise them from laying worker eggs or a unfertile queen.

Also some laying workers will fool you when they first start out, The eggs will look like the were laid by the queen in the center nice and neat but if you can see good one end of the eggs is smaller kinda shriveled up look, but as they get to laying for awhile they get messy, eggs on the wall several eggs per cell, some times there is more than one laying worker at this time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts