Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you manage hives near a big clover field. Do you just keep stacking up the supers or what do you do. I've got 5 deeps of honey on some of the hives. I just added another today on all my hives. They are taller than I am and getting hard to work. Also wanted to add this, some of the hives are bee weaver queens other are nwc from honey runs. The nwc from honey run are out producing my beeweavers . The nwc swarm less also.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
With that kind of height and weight, a ladder is obviously perilous. I've built platforms on spare supers..., worked off an open tailgate..., pulled a couple full supers before adding another..., and eventually switched to all mediums. Congratulations on your problem, and good luck!

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
Congratulations on your problem, and good luck!
No kidding. I have never had that problem, but if I did, I guess I'd take some supers off and store them until I got ready to extract, or go ahead and extract them.

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
I extract whatever light honey is on at the beginning of clover flow (locust), then super and extract again in a few weeks if strong. I like spreading extracting out rather than doing it all at once. This also allows me to produce 2 different flavored honeys to sell which folks like(locust spring honey which is light and clover which is a bit darker) Clover can go thru June if rain and temps cooperate.

This is also a good time to make splits before weather turns hot and dry.

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
I have the same problem, need a ladder to take boxes off! Heavy, too. I'd be unable to work them if they were deeps!

I plan to extract in the next week or two, the nectar seems to keep coming in and I don't want to waste any!

Peter

·
Banned
7,861 Posts
I'd say to extract them whenever you have the time or someone can help
you with the extraction. This way you can reduce the height a little.
An idea: You could try a double super on top of 1 hive supported by 2 more side boxes
to hold the 2 supers on top. The 2 supers on top will be cover by a big wooden
cover over them. This will reduce the height while providing double the storage capacity.
What do you think?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts