Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my fifth year of beekeeping and this year's first batch of honey is cloudy. I used crush and strain method. Last year I did the same thing but the honey was clear, just like when I use the extractor. Honey tastes great, just looks different in the bottle. Any comments or suggestions?

beecuz

"...for breath is sweeter taken even as the last in places dear...with gardens, fields and dogwood trees...
in forest stands of bamboo shoots...with ginger root and honey bees..."

·
Registered
825 Posts
Over-crushed or under-strained, or both. Did you use the same fineness of filter?

Edited to add...How long ago did you bottle? Honey will filter itself with the particulates floating to the top if you let it settle for a day. Did you let it settle, or straight to the jars? Could it possibly be bubbles?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I let it settle for a couple of days. I used the same strainer that I always use. Doesn't look like bubbles. Doesn't look like it is crystalizing. I did not consider over crushing...I will strain it all again, let it sit for a few more days, and see what happens. Thanks for the comments!

·
Registered
211 Posts
my crush and strain is always a little cloudy. 600 micron filter. I have always assumed that it was pollen. no negative effects that I know of. doesn't crystallize, just stays slightly cloudy.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I crushed and strained a couple of frames a few weeks ago and it was, and still is, cloudy. The frames I took it from had a lot of pollen in it them and the honey has a strong smell of the pollen. Not the best stuff, but it's my "allergy medicine" so extra pollen I think is good.

I might try the heat and strain through a 600um filter to clear it up a bit.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts