Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can one still get supers filled while using the Cloake board method for starting and finishing queens. I have a super populated hive with 2 supers on it and would like to use it for raising queens using the Cloake method.
Thanks-Howard
Hampstead, NC

·
Registered
712 Posts
Yes, it will work fine. From experience I can tell you they will swarm if you dont super them. Just gets old taking the supers on and off.

Johnny

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks-I was very concerned about swarming when I opened this hive. I had reversed it about 6 weeks ago but it had more bees that I have ever had in any hive so I was sure I was going to see some swarm cells but I saw none. It was close though because the queen was up and about to run out of room in the top box. I put her in the bottom deep and gave her a good amount of open brood comb. I am still going to have to watch it close and will likely take some brood from it for another hive or make a split. There is 8-9 frames of sealed and unsealed brood. It is also the first hive I've had with a frame of wall to wall brood. Nothing else on the frame but 99% sealed brood.
I am also going to use this hive for grafting because I had a frame of drone comb in it that I tried for varroa control and it was about 1/2 sealed and when I opened a lot of the cells I didn't see a single varroa. I tend to look at drone brood in all my hives and always see varroa on the drone brood and was amazed that there was zero on this frame. I froze it and will place it back in this, or another, hive. This is a 2010 queen so maybe I got some hygienic behavior going on?
Thanks-Howard

1 - 3 of 3 Posts