Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a friend that wants me to come clip and mark his queens. Is there any advantages to clipping queens? He just wants to do it so that they "will not swarm". Will clipping them prevent them from swarming? I am wary doing it to begin with.

Kingfisher

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
My experience is that bees somehow know if their queen is damaged. Supercedure rates are much higher among clipped queens (my experience)

Also, I have read that it will not prevent them swarming, they will just fall out of the entrance and be found dead on the ground later.

I might consider clipping the queen if I could see them from my living room window and rescue the fallen queen, but all my hives are in remote places, so I don't bother to clip them.

I do mark them however. Marking doesn't seem to make any difference. I live in a potential African area, so I need to know if the queen has been ousted.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
if they make the decision to swarm and find the queen cant fly, they OFTEN return and wait for the first virgin to hatch. more frequent inspections is the better solution to prevent swarms.
good luck,mike

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Now, keep an eye on them for him too. As stated above, the bees are more likely to supersede an injured queen, and clipped wings are an injury. Not saying they will for sure, but I've had bad experiences lately with three $100.00 breeder queens that were marked and clipped. All three were superseded; luckily they had all laid enough to get some daughter queens. :(

1 - 7 of 7 Posts