Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bees are putting up honey that's almost clear. Is it because of the source or because we've had a lot of rain? Could it be a combination?

Either way, it has very little taste.

Could it be mixed with later honey to give it flavor?

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you been feeding syrup? Or is there a source for them to get some sort of non nectar syrup?
I quit feeding when the flow started...around 2 weeks ago.

There's no place around here (in the middle of nowhere) where they could be getting sugar water.

What is coming in is definitely nectar.

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
What is coming in is definitely nectar.
Tupelo perhaps. Have you extracted it? Or have you just tasted it right out of the hive? If it is tupelo, and it should be considering your location and the time of year, don't blend it w/ anything. That would be sacreligious. It is highly sought and can be sold at a premium price. I hope you get lots.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tupelo perhaps. Have you extracted it? Or have you just tasted it right out of the hive? If it is tupelo, and it should be considering your location and the time of year, don't blend it w/ anything. That would be sacreligious. It is highly sought and can be sold at a premium price. I hope you get lots.
I've just tasted it right out of the hive. I know tupelo is very common in south GA/north FL. Maybe it's in central GA too...I don't know.

I've never had tupelo honey...but this that they're bringing in now has very little taste. It does have that acidic-type aftertaste that burns your throat a little, though.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I extracted a fair amount of this light honey about 5 days ago. It is very light, but tastes great. You can nearly see through the bottle, but it still has a good color to it.

Tastes really good on biscuits.

I have a new swarm that's building up and they're putting up light colored honey, but with a much stronger flavor. I really need to learn more about what they're getting.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I am not far from you J. I have noticed the last few years my spring harvest is always light to very golden in color, compared to the fall harvest which is very dark. I am not sure what the source is but I always get good reviews on the taste. I have no idea what the source is either, but I would not try to mix anything with it, just let it be. The nectar when in the hive definitely looks a lot like water almost. I have not fed any of my hives since late Feb.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I was thinking mine looked clear, too, but since this is the first time I've seen honey in a hive, I thought it was normal. I haven't tasted it yet, though.

So you thought it had no taste while in the hive, but it is very tasty once extracted? Or was it just not 'done' when you tasted it?

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
I have yet to see any medium or dark honey. Every frame I've seen is filled with very light honey. Our tulip poplars failed to bloom in any significant amount....and that is usually what colors much of our springtime honey. Maybe the sumacs will save us :)

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So you thought it had no taste while in the hive, but it is very tasty once extracted? Or was it just not 'done' when you tasted it?
It didn't seem to have much taste when it was in the hive...though I might have been trying some that wasn't cured enough...I'm not sure. It could be that I was expecting it to taste different. What I have bottled tastes great.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Our tulip poplars failed to bloom in any significant amount....and that is usually what colors much of our springtime honey. Maybe the sumacs will save us :)
Really? That stinks. Do you know what the cause of this is?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts