Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can you put white frosting buckets in the dish washer? It would sure save a lot of scrubbing. I have let the bees have what they want, but they always leave some stuff behind that needs cleaning. I have put other smaller plastic buckets in the dishwasher and they sort of slumped. I only have a few of the frosting buckets and don't want to waste them. By the way, how much honey to they hold? They don't look like a standard 5 gal. bucket.

Thanks, Jerry

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Fill the buckets with warm/hot water to dissolve the frosting and you will have very little scrubbing.

Look at the bottom of the pail and it will say how many gallons it holds.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was thinking more along the lines of sanitizing the bucket for honey storage. Is just washing the goo out sufficent cleaning?

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
If the buckets were taken directly from the bakery and washed like normal dishes they would be fine for honey storage. Since you left them outside exposed to outdoor contaminents more may need to be done. A weak bleach solution will sanitize them just fine. Make sure you rinse them very well after the bleach wash to eliminate the chance of bleach contamination to your honey.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I get them from the bakery too and I just take them to the bathtub and fill them with hot water a couple of times and dump it and fill one more time with hot water and dawn dish soap and pretty much just have to wipe it a couple of times with a rag.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replys. I don't work with "food grade" things that I don't consume myself so I was a little unsure of the procedures that others use. This really helps. I guess I was makeing to much of it.
Thanks, Jerry

·
Registered
850 Posts
Vinegar helps to clean those. I found them so greasy from frosting that they were never clean enough for me to feel real comfortable putting honey in them. I use them for sugar syrup mixing instead.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I get buckets from a local grocery (they use their hot water power hose to clean them out for me) and the Sam's (I'm on my own). For the Sam's buckets, I use hot water & Dawn because of the grease. Then rinse, rinse, rinse.

Interestingly, I'm diabetic, and I've had to turn the Sam's bucket washing over to my husband. I was actually getting a contact high (glucose, that is) from the sugar touching my skin. Probably breathing in some, too, with the steamy water.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Hi: Echoing Beeslave,
A weak bleach solution will sanitize them just fine. Make sure you rinse them very well after the bleach wash to eliminate the chance of bleach contamination to your honey.
I sanitize with a mild bleach solution of 2 oz of bleach to 5 gallons of water. I use this ratio to sanitize brewing, wine making, and beekeeping equipment and find it effective and inexpensive. I have a "new" plastic garbage can with a lid filled with about 20 gallons of this solution that I just soak glassware and some plastics and other implements in for a few hours or over night, then rinse with clear water. There is enough hypochlorite in the mix to do the job, but not so much as to be obnoxious. Note that metal (stainless steel too) and some plastics needs to be removed quickly since they will be attacked and degrade/corrode if left in the solution. This ratio can be made a bit stronger or "refreshed" if you think it necessary as long as you rinse thoroughly. I don't sanitize wood with this since it is absorbent.

Good luck. Paul

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Yes, I use them also. I wash most of the icing out with the hose then the dishwasher gets them squeaky clean. I think they are 2 gallon buckets with lids I have been using them to store honey.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts