Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a buntch of very bee boxes and frames from a retired bee keeper. Alot of the boxes had rats nests in them and some frames have mold on them. I bleached out the boxes and boiled the frames for around 3-5 and wiped them off . i also noticed termite damage but not bad. Is there any more steps i should do, before using them? :s

·
Registered
6,691 Posts
You've already done more than I would have to reuse them. I say use them, it sounds to me like you've gotten them cleaned up quite well. There are some that would not use any used equipment at all with fears of diseases, but I'm not in that camp. If they look decent and don't smell bad then I use them.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I made the mistake of using bleach and a pressure washer,about 4 yrs. ago.I washed all the bee smell out of them.You do want to get rid of the mouse smell though.My new tech. is a iron that I use for waxing ski's.I don't know if it's the best,but it seems to work.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just want to make a clean and safe enviorment for the bee's and also me. That also gives me another question, will bee'z do this kind of cleaning there selfs

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Those old bee boxes look like junk when they are laying around empty and covered in dust and cobwebs. But when they are full of bees they are charming, antique, rustic and historical! :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts