Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the easiest way to clean used frames? It takes a whole ton of patience to scrap each one by hand. Would it hurt to boil them in a pot? Would this work? Im sure you old beeks see the same old questions by the season. Thanks for any info....... Mike

·
Registered
575 Posts
Hey Mike S,
I hate cleaning frames, I am not an old beek I am just old lol. I use a torch and heat up a hive tool and it helps cut through a lot of the built up wax and propolis. I got my solar wax melter built this spring so I will be putting some frames in it to see how that works.
Hope you get some additional ideas.
Ski

·
Premium Member
3,533 Posts
I hate cleaning frames, I am not an old beek I am just old lol.
I agree with "Ski" on this one I use a turkey frier with water and boil them it makes the wax and propolis easy to remove.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I agree with both of you and think I'll try boiling, I already have the setup. I'm way too lazy for all the scraping!! I did 4 this morning and I don't have the patience.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
perhaps you are getting them cleaner than neccessary. i seldom do more than a quick scrape on the end bars to keep them the right width. if i'm 'specially active, i'll hit the burr comb on the top bars. good luck,mike

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We cut the comb out of these and hand squeezed the honey, their really a mess, need to load new foundation in them. Buying an extractor setup very soon, done with the hand squeezing.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
let the bees dry'em off, pop out the wedge, run a screwdriver through the divided bottom bars, use the hive tool to give a scrape up each of the end bars, replace the wax sheet. i did it while watching the news for years. good luck,mike

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Try using a frame cleaner, about $4.00 at Dadant. Along with a hive tool or putty knife they make the job a lot easier. The other thing is to get some grandkids or slave labor!

·
Registered
386 Posts
Wax foundation frames or foundationless frames are easy just toss them in the wax melter. The plastic foundation frames I don't think you have a choice but to scrape them or scrap them. Boiling them is definitely out of the question unless you like warped frames! :D

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK, Im in the middle of building a solar wax melter, I'll give it a try when its done.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
When lye was still available, a small amount added to the boiling water would saponify(sp?) the wax. The frames would come out looking bleached.

Roland

1 - 12 of 12 Posts