Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know a product that will remove bees wax from plexiglass? I have two observation hives that I use for classes and from time to time they need to be cleaned. For several years I have just replaced the plexiglass, but now plexiglass is becomming quite expensive. I haven't found anything that will get them clean. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Mike... I have tried a razor blade, and it is about as good as anything I have tried.. It will remove the little burr comb, but it doesn't do a good job cleaning the plexiglass. Glass Plus, Vinegar, Hot water doesn't work very well either.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Cleo,

I'm new here but I have a question.

Other than it could get broke, why not use a thick glass instead of Plexiglas?

chuck

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Chuck... I used glass for several years but one day it broke. So I switched to plexiglass. Now I use two pieces of plexiglass on each side. Even the best of school kids, Kindergarden through High School, will sometimes peck at the glass, and at times some roudy individual pushes another and they fall aginst the observation hive. I have to take every precaution possible.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Why not use a piece of real glass against the bees(which you can clean and not scratch), and a piece of plexiglass on the outside for safety?

Roland

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,108 Posts
If you use a rubber spatula to remove the bulk and then soak it with FGMO (mineral oil laxitive or eqivelant) you can get it pretty soft and wipe it clean. Then finish up with glass cleaner to get off the oil.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts