Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question regarding several hives that did not make it through the winter. I've had bees for a number of year, and unfortunately, since moving to a new location, have had more issues with overwintering. This year I lost several hives and while in the past, I have just cleaned out the dead bees and divided remaining resources amount remaining hive or installed new packages into the hives, this year several of the hives have fecal material covering the tops of remaining frames. While this may be dysentery, we have had an exceptionally cold winter this year with extended periods of single digit or below zero temps. I suspect, part of the issue is that they just could not get out of the hive for cleansing flights. I hate to waste the resources that at left in the hive, but don't want to risk causing problems by reusing the frames, etc..

I have not encountered this problem before, and am looking for advice on whether I should let the new and remaining bees clean out the hives, or divide the remaining resources as I have in the past, or should I just toss everything?

I would appreciate any advice you can give me.

Jeff

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Everyone I know has that problem this year. I asked my bk’ing bud (who’s seen 20 bk’n winters more than I lol) about it. He said that he just scrapes the stains down a little, “but a brush and bleachy water wouldn’t hurt”.

·
Registered
5,872 Posts
Everyone I know has that problem this year. I asked my bk’ing bud (who’s seen 20 bk’n winters more than I lol) about it. He said that he just scrapes the stains down a little, “but a brush and bleachy water wouldn’t hurt”.
Mount your brush bristles up and turn the frames top bar down and rub them back and forth over the brush. Keeps the bleach water from running down the comb and into the cells.

This past winter certainly had extremely long stretches of no fly weather conditions. Yep, even the survivor colonies have messy looking frames. It is still to cold here for me to get into them and bees are just starting to take the odd cleansing flight.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts