Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How are you guys cleaning your larger pieces of equipment? Large extractors, tanks, hoses etc used for honey processing and storage? Obviously hot water whenever possible, but are you following with any kind of sanitizer (Starsan?)

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
All stainless gets hot water only. All plastic gets soap and hot water, or goes through the dishwasher if it fits. Always interested in how others do it.

·
Registered
7,987 Posts
Nothing cleans your extractor like live steam. Other wax encrusted stainless gets a propane torch warming and blue shop towel wipe to make it new and shiny.

·
Super Moderator
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,296 Posts
Pick up truck, car wash, sounds like an excellent idea.

·
Registered
205 Posts
"Pick up truck, car wash, sounds like an excellent idea."

Yeah, well, had this idea to make a cappings drain tub out of one of those old 'washtubs on a stand' like every rural family had back in the 50's and 60's.......usually a 'double' but this was a single

Problem was, it had set in a barn for ages, then in a backyard for a few years.

Took an hour and 20 bucks worth of quarters at the car wash, but in the end, it was clean right down to the metal.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I start with warm water so it won't melt wax. Then finish with hot water. I never use soap. I don't want honey that tastes like soap or bleach.
Same here - a High Pressure Water Cleaner ( we call these " Guerny" here in OZ) work well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts