Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I pull 100-200 supers and extract then repeat. I can not stay ahead of keeping the floor clean. You can not sweap because it is sticky so you mop and mop and mop.... Do you clean at the end of the season or after each extraction? I feel guilty leaving it until the next extraction.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
At Lowes or Home Depot you can get a 4'x8' sheet of very flexable white vinyl. You can put it down on the floor and then take it outside when you finish and hose it off. Costs about $15 a sheet.

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
All depends on the extractiong set up you use. Some are lots more messy then others. I always scrape & rinse floor after each run.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Do you use drip boards?? Hot water and a mop at the end of the day. No problems...no sticky floor.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
If you do it every day at the end it is pretty easy to keep clean. Soak the floor down and let it stand for 30 min. Run a scraper across the wax to losen then hose into the drains. A push squeegy is a great way to finish or use a fine bristled push broom.

·
Registered
9,340 Posts
ya, if you clean the floor and equipment after each extraction day, clean up becomes much easier and quicker. Plus, the place looks much better, and operates much better.

·
Registered
9,340 Posts
one thing I am going to include in my newer honey house "distant future" is a good floor drain and sewer system. Anyone with some good ideas on floor drains and gutters.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Being in the construction business I use the red rosin paper. You can get it at any home improvement or building supply Just over lap it and tape it down. When your done,trash it,and your good to go. Take care Dave

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Kieth- I agree with your floor pitch being very important. Add a GOOD pressure hot water hose, and a squeegee. A food grade epoxy floor is nice also, non slip and won't get eaten by any honey that turns to vinegar. End of the year, it is Oakite, a floor scrubber, and an ice scrapper.

Roland

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I just purchased a HOTSEY hot water pressure washer...boy the hot eater makes it alot easier. Now if I just had the bigger cowen exractor I started to purchase....man could I use it now!

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
what kinda sealer did you use?
SBM, I think it's call conco, I got it at White Cap, a concrete supply house, I use about 40 gallons for the floor. So far it's held up pretty well. I would really like a extracting room like Greg's got in the photo section, they did a really nice job putting that room together.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts