Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all,
So deer are heavy and I'd love to get into grouse :D. Nah, still big game hunting but new to shotgunning. And I'm guessing that I'll need to put a lot of shells through it before I get comfortable and natural. SO, I'll mostly be shooting by myself (well really all by myself, friends keep having babies), and I'm torn between a couple different throwers.

One gets good reviews, especially for one-person use:
Trius one-step
You just step on a paddle to **** and then release. Sounds odd but there are some YouTube vids that make more sense of it once you watch.

Another is a little more heavy-duty and flexible (different throws, with an extra doodad):
Do-all outdoors 3/4 trap

The Do-all would need a creative rigging to allow single-person use, but I enjoy a little tool play if it's not too technical, and can envisage a step- pulley like a bass drum foot pedal.

So anyone use either one of these? Have any thoughts for a shotgunning newbie looking to smash some clays solo?

·
Registered
916 Posts
I have a cheap one that you **** by hand but it is kind of like the first one you listed. The thing throws so hard it comes up out of the ground. Kind of a pain. But I think it could be modified and mounted to some 2x4s or something. I couldn't get the link on your second one to work.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
I have a do all full ****. Great trap! Would highly recommend. A 3/4 would be better. I would go with the one step if you could afford it...you can run it yourself.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Go with the heaviest machine possible. Having shot at a few clay pigeons with buddies, light-weight traps topple when throwing, even those set up on spare tires. You can use a loop on the release rope to tie around your ankle for solo practice.

Grant
Jackson, MO

·
Registered
447 Posts
I have a Trius one-step. Not as cool as it sounds. You are in an unnatural positon to shoot because you have to put your wieght on the lever to **** and trip the machine.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I was going to say the same thing as rkr......the best I have used was the do all 3/4 with the wobble attachment thing. it is also really cool because you can slide it into your trailer hitch mount on your truck(at least you can with my buddies model)

and my buddy was late that day so I used the rope around my anckle trick while I was waiting for him.

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Do all has an electric trap for about 300.00 If you want to get real good use a hand thrower, throw it yourself and then pick up the shotgun and shoot:D The hand thrower will cost about 9.99

·
Registered
105 Posts
Just change out all the ashtrays/candy dishes in the house with clays. Tell your wife how much you really spent on your bees this year. Run out the back door sidestep right or left ( which ever is your best shooting side ) and enjoy.
P.S. Not recomended for city folk.

·
Registered
102 Posts
We have a do all full **** I got a the church yard sale a few years ago. I mounted it to a 2" piece of tubular steel so it fits in the traier hit hand I can sit on the tailgate. My brother in law bought a champion electric thrower for around 300. It's awesome. We also got a remote. Now we use mine to throw stackable s and the minis and his foe regulars. The champion thrower throws the champion branded clays much better than the white flyers.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts