Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy all. I'm setting up an extracting line using a pile of used extracting equipment and I'm trying to solve problems before I fill the whole thing with honey and discover them the hard way. I'm using a Cowen knife uncapper into a jacketed melter tank (converted a Dadant electromelt to hydronic), which flows to an older mid-sized clarifier sump, collecting the outflow from two 20f Dadant extractors and (eventually) a 40f no-name extractor that still needs some refurbishment. My biggest question is how to arrange the baffles in the clarifier. Do the rubber seals go on the bottom? If I face them up the honey level in the clarifier drops by half an inch. This is important because as the clarifier sits on the floor (on top of 1" foam for insulation) the top of that baffle is almost dead even with my extractor outflow and my cappings tank heat exchanger. This is good for keeping cappings wax at the right level but will I be backing up my system? How much drop do I need to keep the honey flowing? None of my solutions to this issue are particularly palatable. Lift the uncapper and extractors and provide a platform for the person loading the extractors, rent a concrete saw and lower the sump, or drill some 'speed holes' in the baffles 馃槖

Attachments

Registered
rubber seals down in mine, if the flow backs up you just pull them up a bit, not totally sure exactly what your doing though. if you want the top of the baffles to be level I guess you could remove the rubber seals, after rereading, the melted wax is also going to end up in the clarifier??

Registered
When I got mine Danant used. It didn鈥檛 have the rubber in. I have bought new but never have used them. And it works fine with out the rubber in.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. Since the rubber is old, I might just pull it. To answer the question about wax, the first tank processes most of the wax. (I'm calling it the hydromelt since I have a heat exchanger hooked up to my Cowen sidebar water heater. The hot knives are in this same loop) If you look closely at the first photo you'll see the tank has a small tube sticking out the side close to the top. This aligns with the top of the melter grid and will allow melted wax to flow off the top of the slum/wax mass. As finer wax builds up in the clarifier I'll skim it off and dump it into the hydromelt. So you see why my honey level is so important. Too low and the slum flows into the clarifier. Too high and the heat exchanger can darken the honey coming out of the uncapper. Most people using a similar setup will lower the temp on the hydromelt tank while actively uncapping frames then bring the temp up to melt cappings once the tank builds up a good wad.
Do you guys usually run your sump with a lid on or open top?

Registered
On my dadant sump the rubber goes at the bottom, the honey goes under part of the baffle, then over the other. Make sure you don't have them in backwards.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts