Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it ok to make the sugar syrup with city water? Wasn't sure if the chlorination and other stuff they put in the water would be harmful? or should I use spring water?

·
Premium Member
8,315 Posts
Interesting. I hadn't thought about that. My wife is a certified pool operator and deals with stuff in water. At home she fills her watering pitcher and lets it sit a day or so before watering houseplants.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I boil the water first to drive out the chlorine, or just let it sit overnight first. It makes a difference in my pickles and homebrew.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I boil the water first to drive out the chlorine, or just let it sit overnight first. It makes a difference in my pickles and homebrew.
I add sodium hypochlorite (bleach) to my sugar syrup to keep it from fermenting. See Randy Oliver's website scientificbeekeeping. City water will be fine.
Luke

·
Premium Member
6,176 Posts
I think it's just fine. Sometimes we think too much.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I've noticed that the bees will stop taking water from the bird bath for a day or so after I refill it. It seems that they prefer it after it sits for a while.

·
Registered
72 Posts
a lot of bigger water companies use chloramine (chlorine+ammonia) instead of chlorine. it's more stable, so boiling, filtering, or letting it sit for a day will not break it down. that's good if you are a water company that wants to maintain chlorine levels. but, for instance, you can't get it out of aquariums without a chemical neutralizer.

incidentally, chlorine kills fish by affecting their gills ability to absorb oxygen. so they suffocate. no gills on bees so maybe we're okay.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Native Bee- If they are about to starve thro some chunk combed honey on top or make some
creamed honey from straight honey as a fondant above or below a hive cover. Please try to stick
with just honey you won't regret it.

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
I am sure we all agree that it is best to leave enough honey for the colony to prosper on its own. I would be hesitant to feed honey, unless it came from my hives. In the absence of a secure supply of honey, I think sugar is the best option.

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
CityAcres, you must realize some of us don't get much honey and bees will need some feeding time to time in certain arid or overly cultivated land with nothing to forage on certain times of the year.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts