Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Though I am not Hispanic nor do I claim to be an expert on Mexican Independence Day. I am a fan of Cinco De Mayo. Really for the sole purpose is gives me a real good reason to make my favorite margaritas. Which will be going down my gullet at 5 pm sharp.

MARVELOUS MARGARITAS
FOR FROZEN MARGARITAS
1 SMALL 6 OZ CAN FROZEN LIMEADE.
USING LIMEADE CAN:
6 OZ JOSE QUER VO TEQUILA (THE GOLD IS BEST)
PLUS A LITTLE BIT MORE FOR ZEST!!!!!!!!
6 OZ LIMEADE CAN OF TRIPLE SEC
1/3 CAN COINTREAU LIQUEUR
1/3 CAN GRAND MARNIER LIQUEUR
1/2 CAN 12 OZ BEER (ANY KIND WILL DO EVEN FLAT)
MIX ALL INGREDIENTS WELL. YOU WILL PROBABLY NEED TO
POUR SOME OF THE MIXTURE INTO A GLASS BEFORE ADDING
ICE. KEEP ADDING ICE TO BLENDER UNTIL DESIRED
CONSISTENCY. DRINK UP ADD REMAINING LIQUID
MIXTURE AND MORE ICE FOR SECOND BATCH.
FOR ON THE ROCKS: INSTEAD OF ICE CUBES ADD ABOUT FOUR
6 OZ CANS OF WATER, SHAKE, POUR OVER ICE IN GLASS AND
HAVE A MUCHO GUSTO TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Uh...it's got nothing to do with Mexican independence day. It commemorates the Mexican victory over the French at the battle of Puebla. Frankly, it"s just an obscure event co-opted by Anglicized Mexican restaurant chains. Sorry to be a wet blanket.

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll drink to that.

·
Banned
840 Posts
Depends on who you ask as to how 'obscure' it is.

In Mexico, Dia de los Muertos is a bigger holiday than cinco de Mayo.

In the U.S. the chicano movement made an effort to focus on the victory as a way of rallying U.S born chicanos/mexicanos to come together in identifying themselves with their Mexican nationalist 'brethren'.

back in the 60's and 70's, the motivation to push for racial as well as political identification was an issue.

I am a xicano studies/history educator as well as a 3rd generation xicano ( of Mexican descent, born in the U.S but I just think of myself as a person. the days of 'radical cultural activism' have long faded for me.

( btw, I use the spelling 'xicano' to identify with the indiginous aspect of history rather than the more political 'chicano' movement)

Big Bear

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll drink to that.

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Almost forgot. This also gives me a chance to break out a classic.

Sinko De Mayo

Hellmann's Mayo

Most people don't know that back in 1912, Hellmann's mayonnaise was manufactured in England. In fact, the Titanic was carrying 12,000 jars of the condiment scheduled for delivery on May 5th in Vera Cruz, Mexico, which was to be the next port of call for the great ship after its stop in
New York.

This would have been the largest single shipment of mayonnaise ever delivered to Mexico. But as we know, the great ship did not make it to New York. The ship hit an iceberg and sank, and the cargo was forever lost.

The people of Mexico, who were crazy about mayonnaise and were eagerly awaiting its delivery, were disconsolate at the loss. Their anguish was so great that they declared a
National Day of Mourning, which they still observe to this day.

The National Day of Mourning occurs each year on May 5th and is known, of course, as Sinko De Mayo.

And now you know where the name originated!

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
OK Hambone... you're getting predictable. I was just thinking, hmm... I bet Hambone shares that old one with us about the Titanic loaded with mayo cargo. You came through for me!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Wed. was Cinco De Mayo - Thurs. was Sinko De Market ! Greek holiday I believe?
So what is the big deal to celebrate a victory over the French? It’s not like they beat the British or anything :D Sorry couldn't resist.
Hambone has it right though, another great excuse to drink and eat all day, kinda like say …. St. Patrick’s Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day?

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
It always makes me a little nervous being reminded of the tragic loss of all that Hellmans ( East of the Rockies) mayonnaise, so I went out and bought a couple extra quarts just in case. Out here it's Best Foods mayonnaise. There aren't too many foods that aren't improved with mayonnaise. Although baconnaise is also pretty good.

Now on to the margarita(s).

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Baconnaise is awesome. Hellmans is a close 2nd. I have almost and will be divorced over Miracle Whip. Which the wife likes. :)

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
have another margarita hambone, I did notice no bacon in the margarita recipe.... are you slippin? You have to have a recipe to include bacon and alcohol. :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts