Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying a few different things with a Queen rearing Nuc this week and only needed to open that Nuc today. Didn't light the smoker so lit another Cigar. Not the usual brand I use with them. A puff at the entrance and a puff on top when opening.

One thing I learned, they don't like Phillies Cigars, a few nailed me in the neck. Had a stiff neck today, the kind you get when you sleep wrong. My neck does feel better now.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Smoking cigars is apparently hazardous to your health in more ways than, previously thought. I say go back to using a traditional bee smoker. ;);)

·
Registered
Bee Wrangler
743 Posts
I used to have some of the really cranky little black german bees and one old beek told me to roll up a tobbacco leaf or two in my smoker material to help calm them down. It seemed to help a little bit anyway.

Now nobody around here raises tobbacco anymore including us.

G3

·
Banned
2,668 Posts
Bees hate exhaled breath. They may have been responding to your breath, even though you were puffing smoke.

I have heard of old time beekeepers who just used their cigar as a smoker. I'm guessing they just let the smoke from the cigar waft across the bees, rather than blowing on them.

Too much tobacco in your smoker can knock the bees unconscious.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Thanks Dale I was thinking about trying this but your experience changed my mind. :scratch: Seriously they do hate being blown on. Its the Co2 in your breath, its makes them crazy. Their instinct tells them its a large animal coming to rob their honey. Many insects can detect Co2. Thats what mosquitoes use to home in on you for a meal. Bees, it just makes them mad and you end up with a stiff neck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts