Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't know if anyone as has heard of using cidar vinegar with their feeders but it works for me.I use 1 cup of cidar vinegar to each gallon of sugar water.The bees take it more than the HBH that I was using.I put a quart of each (Boardman feeder) and they took the vinegar much better. Must be Cidar vinegar not White vinegar.My club sugessted it.Not my idea.

·
Banned
840 Posts
I find that interesting because on another forum, a beekeeper there suggests that apple cider vinegar repulses the bees to go down into the combs to avoid it.

He mixes regular water with apple cider vinegar and uses that in a spray bottle instead of a smoker.

you suggest that cider vinegar ( I assume apple) is more attractive to bees when mixed to make sugar syrup.

Sounds like an experiment to try out.

Big Bear

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
I have seen/read a lot of people that use it in their syrup to help with mold. But they use like 1 oz. per gallon.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
I often mix up a big glass of water with a tablespoon each of honey and apple cider vinegar. Delicious and healthful. If there was a lot higher proportion of ACV and someone threw the glass of it in my face, though, it would repulse me enough to send me 'back to the combs' too! :D

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
I would be concerned that it would cause an explosion of Small Hive Bettle.... They use cider vinegar in the traps because the beetles love it.....

It's Monday and i just read that and for a split second, i had this picture of a SBH literally exploding.......Can anyone make the rains stop, I am going stir crazy!!!

·
Registered
359 Posts
devdog...do a dance and send some of your rain my way. We're down nearly seven inches on our yearly average and that's only 18 inches total. We better get some or spring ain't lookin too good.

oops forgot why I posted. My wife uses cider vinegar mixed with water 50:50 and puts it in a mason jar with tin foil on top. She then pokes several holes in the foil. It makes a great gnat trap. I don't doubt SHB would be attracted to anything with cider vinegar in it

·
Registered
137 Posts
I use a couple of table-spoons of apple cidar vinegar (ACV) per gallon in my feeders. I find it inhibits the growth of mold. The bees appear to take the syrup as readily as feed without ACV.

I also like to think the ACV has health benefits to the bees, but I have absolutley no evidence of this. :D

Matt

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
devdog...do a dance and send some of your rain my way. We're down nearly seven inches on our yearly average and that's only 18 inches total. We better get some or spring ain't lookin too good.
Our ground is so soaked, the rain just runs off. I wish i could...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts