Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did anyone who has Tallow trees this year see or find any honeybees on them ? I have plenty of these close to my bee yard, so can keep a daily check on them. They were loaded down with beautiful yellow flowers, but no bees.

Now, tallow tree season is over. Flowers turn to seed. No bees. I live in SW La. about a mile thru the woods to east Texas. Everyone I have talked to says the same thing. Huge crop of tallow tree flowers, no bees. I belong to SW La. beekeepers club, tho not an active member due to health problems, but all I have talked to have witnessed this same thing. My understanding that this is one of the biggest, if not the biggest flow of the year for us.

My bees are bringing in huge loads of bright yellow and orange pollen. It is beautiful, no idea where it's coming from. They must be going a ways from year. There are some tulip trees from about 1/2 mile to about 5 miles. I rode around on the 4 wheeler searching, nothing to be seen. There are some black eyed susans, that's what we call them, but nothing blooming. Anyone else seen this, or can you educate me on this mystery?

Best,

casper_zip

·
Registered
136 Posts
I have one in my yard also. The bees really worked it, up until a week or so ago when it started turning to berries ( or whatever those things are). I live in S. Ga. right now not much else for the bees.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Recently I discovered a tree that turned out to be Chinese tallow tree next to our office. It was crawling with bees when it was blooming. I would guess if your bees ignored them, they must've had something more attractive to them blooming at the same time.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I am in SW Louisiana and went out to look several different times of day and did not see bees working the Tallow Trees.
There were a variety of blooms from just starting to bloom to finished observed over a period of weeks.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They are extremely invasive, and extremely fast growing. Around here, any land not in production (idle) is covered with these trees in no time flat. Farmers, ranchers hate them. Expensive and time consuming to even contain them, much less great rid of them. Well, anyway, keeping bees is no ending lessons learned. Just glad my bees must have found something better, they are bringing in loads of it. Those lil rascals are highly intelligent. They can fix up about anything a human messes up. Had one swarm, lots of comb and honey, brood, had to rubber band it to frames. Only able to get in 5 or 6 frames in and had to leave the rest out in a 10 frame hive. I know I will have a mess with that, but I am a firm believer in letting the bees have a minimum of 2 deeps (10 frame), and when they progress up further, put on honey super. Bee keeping is one of the most fascinating adventures I have ever had. Thank God for his goodness.

Best,
casper

·
Registered
245 Posts
Same here, lots of trees but bees didn't seem very interested. Flow hasn't been what I had hoped it would be. And mine are also bringing in pollen.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts