Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am flabbergasted (if that is correct). I have bunches of tallow trees, they are loaded with beautiful yellow flowers. No bees to be heard, seen, or nothing but other bugs and lots of bumblebees. What is going on ? I thought this was the flow I was eagerly waiting on, but no bees in trees, and believe me I have them, different sizes, and they are beautiful trees. Most farmers and ranchers hate them, not I.

Can some one clue me in on this ?

Best,

casper

·
Registered
175 Posts
Casper,
Not sure what to tell you, other than I feel your pain. :-/

We too are suppose to be well into the tallow flow, However....Haven't seen bee one on the trees and my bees seem to be doing not much of anything.

Hoping they'll kick it into gear and get some supers loaded before the season is over.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I noticed the very same thing, but........my bees are busy. My strongest colony loaded a medium and capped 90% in 10 days..Maybe they're sneaking out at night and taking a nip at the good stuff.

Seriously though, I need more supers, so I don't know where it's coming from. Last year my big tallow was humming with bees.....This year, SILENCE....

·
Registered
712 Posts
Are the fields around you blooming with white clover. When the clover is blooming my bees won't work anything else.

Johnny

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My bees are getting it somewhere, if not tallow trees. I am steadily adding deeps, supers, etc. I ain't complaining, just overjoyed. The Lord is good.

casper

·
Registered
383 Posts
I noticed the very same thing, but........my bees are busy. My strongest colony loaded a medium and capped 90% in 10 days..Maybe they're sneaking out at night and taking a nip at the good stuff.

Seriously though, I need more supers, so I don't know where it's coming from. Last year my big tallow was humming with bees.....This year, SILENCE....
Hummmm....Same here in Lizard Creek, going to get my bee's a deck of cards so they can occupy their time lol

·
Registered
324 Posts
Less bees and more tallows. The tallows are loaded this year in my area and not near enough bees to do their thing. Lots of commercials in area but still not enough. Hardly any swarms either are being spotted. The candles are extremely loaded on lots of the older tree sand if you inspect them the nectar is dripping off the ends of them with no bees to gather it. Mine too are getting lots and I'm adding frames and supers every 2-3 days. Don't want to load em down with supers as the SHB are increasing also. My oil tray hives are seeing the increase.

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
Just an idea: Is there sweet clover blooming down there? White or yellow or both?

https://www.google.com/images?hl=en..._group&ei=VQubU9C6O42PyATAlIH4CQ&ved=0CBQQsAQ

It's been blooming here for weeks. I always see bees on it.

This year a lot of has bloomed out of ordered. The late frozen pushed a lot of plants back, while other where unaffected. Some plants the bees hardly even worked. And other working very hard.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Just an idea: Is there sweet clover blooming down there? White or yellow or both?

https://www.google.com/images?hl=en..._group&ei=VQubU9C6O42PyATAlIH4CQ&ved=0CBQQsAQ

It's been blooming here for weeks. I always see bees on it.

This year a lot of has bloomed out of ordered. The late frozen pushed a lot of plants back, while other where unaffected. Some plants the bees hardly even worked. And other working very hard.
Clover is still around in very tiny amounts. I'm not sure if you've seen tallow before or have it that far north, but down here in Louisiana and over in east Texas when we say it's in bloom, it's more numerous than you might imagine. I mean it's everywhere. Even if clover were in full bloom, the amount of tallow would dwarf it. It a nusceince tree and an invasive species, but for bees and making honey it's the bomb.

As far as less bees than trees mgstei1, that very well could be the case. I'll check the ends of the blooms, but I have 7 of my colonies from 10 feet to within 100 yards of my largest tallows, and I'm hard pressed to see a bee on them. But that does make sense. None the less, my enslaved bees are making honey, so all is well.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I've seen a few bees on the Tallow around here, but my best hive has only filled one medium so far. Very slow to draw out any more.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
You know that certain plants produce nectar during certain parts of the day. They may be visiting at a different time that you are looking. Tallows have been in full bloom ab out a week or so here and the flow is showing up now.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts