Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Yes I’ve seen it in other topics here. Without a debate on the general state of the pandemic in the USA I’d love to hear if anyone knows if a beekeeper that’s gotten it?

·
Registered
7,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Something similar was posted a while back.
.I did see a thread where someone was asking if anyone knew of any beekeepers who had gotten the virus but didn't see this observational study listed.
I wouldn't put too much faith in it but the fact that it was carried on the national institutes of health website gave it a bit of credibility.

·
Registered
76 Posts
That thread got pretty opinionated. It would be nice to know if any beekeepers have gotten the virus in the USA. There could be some important relationship between the bees and the immune response

·
Moderator - In Memorium
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,888 Posts
There was a bit of discussion awhile back regarding this topic on Bee-L also.

Part of the problem is that there are too many variables involved to determine if there is even a cause and effect relationship. Say you keep bees but rarely get stung. If you caught Covid, your data would not support beekeeper immunity. Likewise, a beekeeper such as myself that gets stung a moderate number of times each month, but is not ever exposed to the virus, would go in the supports column. Who among us thinks they have been stung enough times to risk purposeful exposure to see if they get sick?

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
That, and outside NY city there isn't a high a % of the population that has been exposed yet. There probably have not been a thousand beekeepers in the US even been exposed.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Apparently I have not been stung enough. I have 3 hives and was probably stung 3 times in the two weeks before I came down with it. Fortunately I got over it in a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
7,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I agree that it is difficult to separate those beekeepers here who might get stung occasionally and those who tend to get stung multiple times most weeks. Also, as is my case, I spend most of my days alone and only have occasional opportunities to get exposed(visiting family and friends, grocery shopping, farmers market). I also have no idea of how beekeeping is managed in China. Yet a survey of 5000 beekeepers in the province at the center of the virus outbreak does raise one’s eyebrows.
The same with the apitherapy patients and the practitioners. Over a hundred within the city of Wuhan and none got sick. Once again….I am only reading the observational study and speculating.
Also the fact that it was published in the nih website adds a tad of credibility.
I don’t have any opinion on this but simply found it interesting.

·
Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
2,529 Posts
I agree that it is difficult to separate those beekeepers here who might get stung occasionally and those who tend to get stung multiple times most weeks. Also, as is my case, I spend most of my days alone and only have occasional opportunities to get exposed(visiting family and friends, grocery shopping, farmers market). I also have no idea of how beekeeping is managed in China. Yet a survey of 5000 beekeepers in the province at the center of the virus outbreak does raise one’s eyebrows.
The same with the apitherapy patients and the practitioners. Over a hundred within the city of Wuhan and none got sick. Once again….I am only reading the observational study and speculating.
Also the fact that it was published in the nih website adds a tad of credibility.
I don’t have any opinion on this but simply found it interesting.
BeemanDan,

I am in the same boat as you . find this interesting.

As I understand from reading other articles, A "sting" activates parts of our immune system. More stings more activation. We then have the system on "high alert" "primed" somewhat the all hands on deck setting. then when an invader comes along "virus" the system quickly deals with it.

Now it is not the be all end all and we still can get sick. supposed less severe, as the time to make the system ready is already done. I do not recall the last time I had the flu. In general I do not catch much. Are the stings helping, in some aspect they could be. the math on general population VRS the beekeepers is a most interesting topic. Not sure of others but I do snack on comb slicings , occasionally ingest propolis, and I do like pollen with honey as well,, so also may be a synergistic effect.

I recall in the book "Hive and the Honey bee" someone interviewed several folks over 100 years old, Germany or Austria, almost all had been keeping or had keepers in the family, brother, son and had access to hive products. Skeps are on the sides of tombs. likely is something there.

do i want to be exposed, no not really. I suspect I will be by the time this is over.

GG

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Apparently I have not been stung enough. I have 3 hives and was probably stung 3 times in the two weeks before I came down with it. Fortunately I got over it in a couple of weeks.
Glad you got over it. While I would like to think immunity from stings is a fact (took several in the fingers over the past few days), I agree with Mr Palmer that unless you had a controlled environment which guaranteed exposure, I don't think we can draw any hard conclusions. Thanks for posting your experience. Clearly a few stings does not make you invincible. That may be the lesson. Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Glad to hear it! I have a lot of corona patients and we still don't know why some people get the really harsh, dangerous version and some people glide right through with mild symptoms. Had a 90+ year old patient a while back who tested positive but never had more than a mild fever. His 80-something wife had it worse but no worse than a bad flu. Other patients, young folks, apparently healthy, spent a week or more bedridden.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I've been hoping there is some fact basis as well. But...

A statistical saying/principle is that "correlation is not causation." Would it make sense to you that people with healthy immune systems are less likely to have bad cases of COVID? And would it make sense to you that people without healthy immune systems might be a lot more likely to drop out of beekeeping after their over-reactions to some stings? If so, beekeeping is not the cause but just another adjective for people less likely to have bad cases of COVID?

·
Registered
415 Posts
Yes intereSTING (ha!) though not scientific. Another correlation: maybe beekeepers have healthier habits (outside a lot, active, etc) that makes them less susceptible to illness.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts