Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have chilled brood in about 4 of my mating nucs as they depopulated and had bad weather lately. The problem is that the queens are still virgin and cannot intrude too much.
What should I do? In the most desperate case I destroyed the frame in cause and combined.

Nasty stuff.

For the next year I'm planning on having smaller and more frames(3) in the mating nucs. I'm thinking on Jay Smith's description on having 3 small frames in a deep frame to be drawn in normal colonies and then moved into nucs.

Cristian

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
I suspect that it happens most years to me in at least a few nucs. I have always let the bees deal with it, and they have. I have had to add another frame of bees or shake more in if a lot of the bees that I added originally returned to their old hive since my mating nucs are in the same yard. I have decided that making up nucs with frames only half brood is better than entire capped frames.

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
It's tempting to make mating nucs too weak - I do it myself sometimes - but it's false economy for sure. You can strengthen weak ones without disturbing them too much by shaking bees in front of the hive - the foragers will all just fly home, the nurse bees will find their way in. However if there is a strong hive next door most of them usually go there instead. You can also swap locations with a stronger hive, but not while the queen might be mating.

Shaking nurse bees Into a plastic tub or trash can so that the foragers fly leaving only nurse bees is a good way to stock nucs. Just keep jarring them back to the bottom as they try to crawl out until you have collected all you need then ladel them out where you need them.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
"Shaking nurse bees Into a plastic tub or trash can so that the foragers fly leaving only nurse bees is a good way to stock nucs. Just keep jarring them back to the bottom as they try to crawl out until you have collected all you need then ladel them out where you need them. "

Never thught of that, thanks for the insight....

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
I got it from this video -abstoßen der Bienen: http://youtu.be/1JL4p4W7fW4
The same guy has several videos showing how he raises queens - very interesting despite having no idea what he is saying. They are all put in order here - http://doorgarden.com/02/honey-bee-queen-rearing

BTW in the videos he sprays them with sugar water - which helps slow them down - but it will also keep the foragers from flying back if you are too liberal with it. Also if there is not a good flow you should use plain water or none at all to avoid setting off an ugly robbing incident.

·
Registered
96 Posts
It's tempting to make mating nucs too weak - I do it myself sometimes - but it's false economy for sure. You can strengthen weak ones without disturbing them too much by shaking bees in front of the hive <snipped>

Shaking nurse bees Into a plastic tub or trash can so that the foragers fly leaving only nurse bees is a good way to stock nucs....
This is great info. Thank you David!

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
False economy for sure. The things are not that bad. The weather turned fine finally. Thank God.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts