Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what is in manure that my bees find so atractive? Salt,minerals, or is it just the water? Anyone? Thanks.
Todd64:D

·
Registered
463 Posts
I've got a hive pretty close to a coup, not noticed any visits to the chix manure...please do elaborate

·
Banned
48 Posts
what is in manure that my bees find so atractive? Salt,minerals, or is it just the water? Anyone? Thanks.
I raise meat rabbits and I always have bees under my rabbit pens on the manure. Ive also wondered what they like so much in the manure.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Could they bee after the Calcium:scratch: If I recall correctly, Rabbits excrete lots of Calcium in their urine; Chicken feed is also high in Calcium which I guess would be in their feces. Bees must have a need for Calcium. Pure speculation on my part. Adrian.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The manure im talking about is already composted, not fresh.Yes they like my composting plant matter as well. As I have mentioned in a earlyer thread, bees love pee. I assume its the salt and or other minerals. Maybe the same reason aplies to manure.

Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
When I see my bees working urine or poo. I mark which hive it is and sell that honey to my mother in law.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I have noticed this too. We raise cattle and do feed them mineral mix. Maybe that is what they are after. I have also noticed that when my horses get sweaty I sometimes see some pestering them and they pester me when I make a bucket of Miracle Grow.

Barry...its okay to laugh. :)

·
Registered
463 Posts
I'm still wondering if moisture is what the bees are after? I have a mist bed for plant cuttings and the bees frequent that. The compost heap would have moisture...as would fresh manure

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ya, that is funny P.B. Can always us a good chuckle.:D

If you put out two buckets, one containing water and one full of manure, the manure wins hands down.:D

Todd64

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have a manure pile that is several years old , mostly sawdust but some horse droppings mixed in . The bees seem to prefer the water that leaches from the pile over the fresh spring creek that runs past the hives. They also are drawn to the ple of chicken droppings piled nearby.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Something in the manure. Be it calcuim or phosporus. Ever see cows in the spring? Hands down, they will chose the water run off from the manure pile rather than the fresh water next to them....if their mineral source is not complete. Fix the mineral problem and hands down they will chose fresh water!
Bet the bees are going for mineral of some kind

·
Registered
507 Posts
OK, ok, ok.....

Let me get this straight, the bees "prefer" sewer water to fresh water?

Is this correct?

Not sure, we as beekeepers and honey sellers would want that to be known by the buying public.... just a thought. :eek::eek:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts