Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thoughts on adding chicken eggs to syrup or fondant or candy recipes as a protein source?

Thanks, Steve

·
Registered
119 Posts
I have heard that egg whites are not digestible by bees. Egg yolk, in pollen sub patties, yes this could be a good idea along with other ingredients

·
Banned
2,668 Posts
I have heard that egg whites are not digestible by bees.

Worse than that, it's my understanding that whites are toxic to bees.

It wasn't that long ago BEES4U Ernie hard boiled a pile of eggs to use the yolks in his patties. (I've heard of others using egg yolks too.) You could ask him how it worked out for him.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I wouldn't think twice about using the yolks... the yolks are also rich in Vitellogen... you'll get some nice fat healthy bees from that... just be sure you don't end up with a SHB problem.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
I use powdered whey from the health food store in my bee candy, could I use whey from when we make cheese? I know this is off topic, but we are kinda on the subject:D...................

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Only things bad I can find on the internet search is (1) "Raw" egg whites contain the protein Avidin, which binds vitamin B7 (Biotin), but is inactivated by heating to about 140 F for 4 minutes, (2) risk of salmonella infection. Heating up our mixes eliminates those two.

Sure would be a nice, easy, relatively inexpensive source of protein rather than just feeding our girls "empty" calories. Just seems like others a lot smarter than me would be promoting it if it was good.

I'll look up Ernie's posts, maybe that would shed some light on the topic.

Steve

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hello Ernie,

Wow! Thanks for the link.:thumbsup: With that and other, looks like you've put a lot of time into this subject. When do you sleep?:) I just glanced at it, but will take a good look at it when I have some time to literally "digest" it all. Forgive me if it is in that link, but in all you're work, did you find a reason to avoid egg whites in supplements for bees?

Thanks, Steve

1 - 9 of 9 Posts