Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Regarding treating a hive for mites, do these poisons affect the honey and the comb?Are they safe for human consumption?

And another question since we are just getting our hives this week, do you recommend starting with one or two?

·
Premium Member
3,533 Posts
ALWAYS follow the instructions for anything you put in the hive!!!

·
Registered
764 Posts
Do some reading on anything you want to put in your hives.And yes chemicals like apistan and checkmite will contaminate honey.and make it unfit to eat
As for one or two hive,two give you more options.Not only that then you can see how each progresses and lean a bit more.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
http://listserv.albany.edu:8080/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0205C&L=bee-l&P=R2465

<<The key word here is "organophosphate". Coumaphos ("Checkmite") is
an organophosphate.

Organophosphates are neurotoxins. They attack the nervous systems
of mites. They can do the same thing to beekeepers. Organophosphates
are so hazardous that the EPA says something that they have never said
about any other pesticide. They admit that there IS no safe way to handle
this class of chemicals.

They are readily absorbed through the skin, but there is no type of glove
that can protect you. The stuff goes right through all available types
of protective gear. The effects of these toxins are cumulative, and
even very tiny "doses" can build up to levels that cause serious nerve
damage.>>

Definitely start with two, if not three hives.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I am now beginning my 2nd year. I started this time last yr with 2 nucs. Having 2 hives instead of one was probably a bit more work but not that much more. Overall, I think its better to have 2 (or even 3) when you start out so that it will give you more exposure to varying hive conditions, more experience working with them, more fun. Be ready for swarm season NEXT spring though (extra equipment, knowledge of how to hive a swarm, etc) because this is how you will invariably increase the beekeeping hobby sooner or later. I am the voice of experience since I've already had 4 swarms this year, despite doing some swarm prevention measures (obviously not enough).
Good luck- there is all sorts of information, mostly good on the web. May I suggest George Imirie's articles- he's a straight talker with good advice. Take care.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,108 Posts
>Regarding treating a hive for mites, do these poisons affect the honey and the comb?

Both of the common treatments, Apistan and Check mite, are soluble in the wax and are not only poisoness to bees and humans, but accumulate in the wax. Check mite, being the more deadly of the two by far.

>Are they safe for human consumption?

No.

>And another question since we are just getting our hives this week, do you recommend starting with one or two?

I always recommend two. You'll have resources to help out in times of trouble with two.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts