Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put 4 new queens in splits, 4 days ago and need to check if they were released. It's cloudy with light ran today and worse weather is expected tomorrow. Do I check them today or wait until Monday afternoon?
 

·
Registered
7 Hives of Apis mellifera with some Africanization
Joined
·
5,531 Posts
What is the outside temperature? It would be okay for a quick peek, if it is 50F or above. If it's colder than 50F, I would recommend waiting. It should also not be windy; 50F or more and no wind.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks everyone for the replys. You and the weather have helped me decide to wait for better conditions.:D After a year of beeking I'm still antsy to check on new queens. Roland I hope your right about Monday being sunny. How did your NWC's do this winter?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,025 Posts
It does not get much better with time. There is a greater chance of rejection when disturbed and that is why most suggestions are to let them alone. The other possibility mentioned numerous times in posts, the beekeeper is releasing the queen manually and she either runs out of the hive or similar undesirable results. Bees have been doing this much longer than you or I. I still peek after decades, resist the urge!
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top