Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Is it ok to check them in the rain? Is there any draw backs?
There are some few obvious drawbacks ... like getting soaking wet, getting the bees soaking wet, drowning bees, etc. Of course there is rain and there is rain. Is there an absolute need? Why not just wait? If for some reason it can't, I'd put up a canopy over them first.

·
Registered
5,604 Posts
Also, be prepared to receive a very unfriendly welcome. All of the guard bees and older foragers are trapped in the hive when it's raining, and they will make their presence know when you remove their roof in the rain.

Do what you gotta do, but unless it's an emergency, wait for better weather.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Did you release the queen you got the other day? if so maybe just let them do their thing for a while.

and yea.. when it rains, everyone is home and grumpy about it.

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
Is it ok to check them in the rain? Is there any draw backs?
Do what you have to do when you can, not when you want to. Up to a point. All the bees will be home. So you better be ready and able to take stings.

I know a guy who uses a Pop Up Canopy when he needs to work hives when rain is forecast.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Did you release the queen you got the other day? if so maybe just let them do their thing for a while.

and yea.. when it rains, everyone is home and grumpy about it.
I tried to today to release the queen. But I had trouble. The queen cage fell to the bottom. I really couldn't literally see to get to the cage so I am gonna wait until later today/evening to try.

·
Registered
652 Posts
waiting until later will just have more bees home from foraging. do you have a spare box you can move some frames out of the main hive for a minute so you can get to the cage better?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
waiting until later will just have more bees home from foraging. do you have a spare box you can move some frames out of the main hive for a minute so you can get to the cage better?
I tried doing that moving some frames to an empty box. It didnt make a difference. It was still like I didn't do anything. I'll try about 1 hour before sunset. If the queen inst released then I will release her. Or better yet she is released by the bees.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,094 Posts
>I regularily work hives in rain. No problem at all.

I spent a month and a half in Belgium and I saw the sun once for 20 minutes... I think if you didn't you'd never get to work your bees. Probably the same for people in Seattle... When I'm queen rearing I have no choice and often work them in the rain. But if I have a choice (and unless I'm queen rearing I do) then I wait for the sun to shine.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts