Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have been searching the threads and couldnt find anything on this. Now I know it is not Ideal to be checking bees in this type of weather but it has been 10 days since last check and I think it is getting time to put another super on to avoid swarming. I will be leaving out of state for a week tommorow and think I had better check the hives. The only problem is is that it has been raing the last 4-5 days (and sprinkleing today) with temps in 40-50 F... Am I ok to check during this kind of weather? what is the downside to checking hives like this? Any answers would be helpfull..

O I live in Minnesota

Thank You

·
Registered
375 Posts
If you're worried about swarming, then add a super, but don't mess with the frames. If you do, you run the risk of chilled brood. Wait until it's at least 60 before you start pulling frames for inspection.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
The bees have been losing weight not gaining with this cold wet weather. If you do it quick you can pop the top and put on a super if you are worried about the bee room. When you get back and it is warmer you can do a better inspection. It will be warming up this weekend so the bees will be out foraging again.

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
Yeah, the weather here in the midwest, great lakes area has been really lousy so far in May with few exceptions, makes it hard to do inspections at a time when you should be doing it more frequently.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys... I think I will go put on an extra one this afternoon... its 48 now and might get a bit warmer here in a few hours so Im hoping I wont run the risk of chillbrood. its gonna worry me the whole time on vacation.... guess Ill just have to drink a little more beer and let nature take its course:popcorn::popcorn:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts