Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went out and checked 2 hives tonight and not sure what to do. I have hive bodys with one deep on each and no queen reducers on either. One hive has one frame with a small area of sealed brood in the upper deep and the other has about 5 out of 10 frames with open and sealed brood in the upper body and I saw the queen up there. I don't have any supers on yet and not really sure if I'm running into trouble here.
Thanks
Mike

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is there and easier way since my bottoms are stapled on the lower hive body?

What will happen if I just leave her and let her do her business will she travel back to the lower when more brood space comes available?

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
Remove the staples so you can move your boxes around. Staples are generally attached for moving purposes and not for stationary beekeeping. In the hive with a small area of brood on on frame in the upper box is there a decent amount of brood in the lower box? What I am trying to figure is if you have enough bees and brood to justify a 2nd box.

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
Yup exactly

And that's just a guide you can vary it depending on how much honey or brood you got.

Basically you want most the brood in the bottom and some frames in the top box to encourage the bee to use that box. The brood is kept together two fames at a time so the bees can keep it warm.
Larger hives with lots of bees I don't worry about keeping 2 frames of brood together.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts